1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New FenceBuilder Ready for Beta

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by gadgets, 27/6/09.

1. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    The redesign of FenceBuilder is now complete and is ready for beta testing.

In addition to the features of the original version (with all reported bugs fixed), the new version:
    • has a graphical interface,
    • slews the user aircraft,
    • profiles the terrain elevation between any two points,
    • automatically fills the space between any two points with ground-hugging fencing, and
    • permits splitting, consolidation and elevation adjustment of any previously-placed segments.
    If you've got a little time to spare and would like to help with the pre-release testing, please send me a PM.

Best regards,
    Don
  2. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    The FenceBuilder Beta software is now available.

Please report any issues to me via PM or e-mail (address in documentation).

Thanks for helping out,
    Don
    Last edited: 2/7/09
  3. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    The FenceBuilder beta is now closed. The latest version of FenceBuilder will be uploaded to the Tools section shortly.

Don
  4. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    presumably it only alters the elevation of the fence segment and not the pitch in order to follow hills? (i.e. it will 'step' up the hill rather than follow it??)
  5. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    That's correct. Since Fencebuilder uses Gmax models, I don't think its possible to alter the pitch while, at the same time, leaving the posts vertical. (If it is possible, I'd sure like for someone to show me how, cause that would be "neat".)

Don
  6. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    you could conceivably alter the pitch if you could somehow query the terrain and generate a slope figure (but then it would tied to the specific DTM that you used when compiling).

I struggled with the same thing for a project I am working on....and ended up just discarding the idea of fences (although I was using them linked as autogen linked to vector lines)
  7. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Generating the slope figure is the easy part. The new FenceBuilder has a graphical interface that plots the profile of the terrain between any two points - and the slope at 10' intervals. What I don't think is possible (or at least not without a great deal of programing) is to distort the models in the Z-axis such that they align to the slope but leaving the the ends, i.e., the fence posts, vertical.

Don