1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Zealand interactive FS Scenery map

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Timmo, 1/9/08.

1. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    Gidday guys- Ive just been playing around a bit more with my Scenery finder map and added a few new features that may be of interest. This map can be used to find where addon scenery exists for New Zealand. Move or pan the map and then click on the polygon or marker to get a download link.

The map can be found here: http://www.nzff.org/maps/
    1) Ive done a spruce up of the map interface
    • The overlay layers no longer load by default. A small check box is shown in order to turn the layer on or off. This should speed up the initial map load time.
    • Added nice images/icons and formatted things in tables
    • Changed the colour to better match the NZFF colour scheme
    • Removed the overview map to help speed things up
    [​IMG]

2) Ive got about halfway through adding the airspace boundaries of New Zealand from the VNC charts. At this stage I have only digitised the Control Areas and Control Zones for the North Island. It is a little tricky to display these as polygon areas because they have to be considered in three dimensions.....anyway, you should be able to click on the polygon overlay and be presented with a pop-up containing:
    • The frequency of the controlling authority you need to talk to
    • The lower and upper altitude of that piece of airspace
    • The class of Airspace (i.e. C or D)
    • Whether the Airspace has a requirement for a Transponder to be fitted

The colours of the boundaries/areas match the colours on the NZ VNC charts. The boundaries match fairly closely- I took photos of the VNC Charts, georeferenced them and then digitised the boundaries in GIS.
    [​IMG]

Disclaimer: I hope it goes without saying but, these cannot of course be used for real-world flying. The boundaries may not be accurate and I can't take any responsibility for errors or omissions. It is a work in progress and I'll be adding the South Island boundaries and other information in the future.

3) So, if airspace boundaries need to be viewed in three dimensions, why not do that? Google has just released a plugin which allows you to experience FULL THREE DIMENSIONAL mapping and display within your web browser without the need for Google Earth! This is cool!

As a beta preview, I've created a map using this new functionality and placed it here. There is a new button at the top right of the map called 'Earth'. Clicking this the first time will prompt install of the plugin (this may take a while to load). Then you will be able to view the map in three dimensions- Im still working out how to invoke the display of 3D polygons so at the moment only the markers work. Like the 2D map, clicking on the marker will bring up a link to download the scenery from Avsim.
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy it
  2. khaos_56k

khaos_56k

us-maryland
    That is... SWEET! So much better than trying to guess if a flight plan might be able to include addon scenery!

FYI: I'm on cable broadband and found the loading, panning and zooming to be smooth as silk.

I have installed, and use frequently, GoogleEarth... I wonder if there's a way to import your work? Something for me to look at.
  3. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    Yeah I was intending to provide the link to the kml files....but then I found the Google Earth plugin instead.

The files should be able to be downloaded- They are just sitting there called FSX.Kml, FS9.kml, CTA.kml, CTZ.kml