1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbee, please give me a little informations

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by chbou, 22/8/07.

1. chbou

chbou

france
    Hi, I have read many many post in this forum and I have find some informations but not all.

Please what's SimConnect ? it's a software ? where I can download ?

Please, for do an Gauge for FSX, how I should proceed for create one ? I haven't find a VB.Net sample code. or please give me an url of an sample code.

Very thank you for all
    Chris
  2. DanKH

DanKH

denmark
  3. chbou

chbou

france
    Yes I've see the SimConnect, I think can understand, for the creation, I should make with C++ ?

Because C++ works on .Net framework and VB.Net or C# also, so I think it's possible to work with these. Else it's bad for me because I don't know the C++ :(
  4. Tom@FlagMountain

Tom@FlagMountain

us-newmexico
    You should be able to do almost everything you need to do from a managed language (e.g. C# or VB.NET). Lack of C++ skills shouldn't stop you.

Admittedly, the documentation is rather poor, and missing some information, but the managed code examples should be sufficient to at least get you started.

Regards

Tom
  5. ziporama

ziporama

unitedstates
    To write gauges, C++ is just about the only thing you will find reasonably documented and with examples. If you want to write gauges, start with C++.

While it is possible to use C# for gauges, the complexity is high as it is not supported out of the box. It requires in-depth knowledge of the CLR and .NET interop. There's also a problem with running .NET inside the FSX process space in that the memory footprint tends to get you into the out of memory error territory on 32 bit Windows very fast. I have posted code on how to run .NET from within FSX on this forum, although I wouldn't recommending starting there.

If you want to create external programs (programs that run as .EXE outside FSX, on the same or a remote machine), using C# and the managed version of SimConnect may be a bit easier over C++.

Part of the issue I have with C++ is precisely why C# was designed the way it was: to eliminate the nonsense with macros and pointers. A quick look at the SDK will show you nothing but macros and pointers, so you know there's a long road ahead...

Etienne