1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Questions / AI Flight Planner

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by apollomaker, 18/3/09.

1. apollomaker

apollomaker

unitedstates
    Hello -- just a couple of questions from trying my first AI flight plan!

1. Is the FLIGHT NUMBER that is requested in AIFP, the "atc flight number" in the aircraft.cfg file?

2. I assume in FSX, the compiled *.bgl file should be copied into the Add-on Scenery folder into its Scenery sub-folder?

3. Assume also that the flight times programmed into AIFP are the FSX system time? So, if I revert the system time to another part of the day, the AI flights will adjust accordingly in their progress?

Many Thanks --- Bob :D
  2. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Welcome, Bob

1. You can unput any flight number you want. The AIFP flight number overrides the aircraft bgl. number

2. You can have AIFP compile directly the the FSX folder of choice. Don likes a folder in addon scenery. This is very oganized. Which is why I just dump FPs into the default location. The default location for the main FSX traffic bgl is in Scenery/world/scenery.

3. I write simple FPs using GMT, but you have the option of using local times, and time zones. Yes, as you move around in different times in the sim, FPs adjust.

Bob
  3. apollomaker

apollomaker

unitedstates
    Hello Bob -- and thanks for the inputs. I will try compiling directly to the default folder (Scenery/World/Scenery) folder. Still getting the hang of it here -- but wanted to at least get a few planes moving around for testing my new airport I am building, etc.

Cheers --- Bob -- ;)
  4. apollomaker

apollomaker

unitedstates
    Still Trying

Well, I have set up a round trip from my new airport. I cannot get the aircraft to show up.

I have checked all my parking, taxiways, etc. All is "textbook simple" and per the rules. Passes the fault finder in ADE. I have scheduled a repeating flight every two hours with departure on the hour (all local system times). And the round trip times satisfy the repeat period requirements OK. I am using the Cessna 208 for the tests.

I would have thought that if I schedule my "presence" at the departure airport (my new airport) a few minutes ahead of the departure time, I would see the AI plane in the parking area just ahead of its departure time. No plane.

The flight plan does a round trip to a stock airport with plenty of parking and AI activity.

Any possible common mistake I am making to cause my plane to not be visible at a scheduled departure time??

Many Thanks -- Bob -- :)
  5. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    The soonest I've been able to go to an airport, and still see my plane, is about 5 minutes before take off. 8 minutes may be better. Make sure your FP times match FSX time.
    Do you have any FS9 plans in your system (WOAI)?
    The ADE fault finder will not see it as an error if you have a taxiway link on your runway, instead of a runway link on your runway. But your runway taxi link must be a runway type for planes to work.
    You might post your airport and traffic bgls for us to check.

Bob
  6. apollomaker

apollomaker

unitedstates
    Hi Bob --- Ok here are my files. Both the airport and the FP bgl file.

No FS9 plans at all. We are clean there and my times, now using UTC, do match FSX time when I start. My last attempt was ten minutes before departure time at 00:00 UTC.

I just got started on the parking area. The clue may be in there. Thanks for looking at these. Also I don't understand why AIFP adds the dash numbers after my arrival times since I am in the same time zone :confused:

Cheers --- Bob :D

Attached Files:

7. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    I see that the "Active Level" for your plan in AIFP is 100%. If your traffic level in FSX is lower than that, your plane will not show. I'm not at my FSX computer until later, so I can't look at the airport bgl. I always set the level in AIFP lower (5% sometimes) so that planes always show.

Bob
  8. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    Bob (apollomaker), you should place hold-short nodes at the entrys to your runway.

I suspect bobbyjack's diagnosis will prove correct. But, while the absence of hold-short nodes is not the cause of your current problem, your AI will not operate probely without them.

Don
  9. apollomaker

apollomaker

unitedstates
    Voila!!!!

Hello Bob --- well, finally! I never did really understand what the "percentage" on the edit menu in AFIP stood for. Now I do. It is the %-level at which your traffic will appear. I reset the values from 100 down to 10 percent. And the planes appeared. :rolleyes:

That is good news since it says at least I understood the parking/taxiway scenario correctly ;) which made me feel a bit better.

Anyway, thanks, and will keep working on the basics here :D -- Bob
  10. apollomaker

apollomaker

unitedstates
    Hi Gadgets --- I placed the hold-short markers within the specified maximum distance. I did not place IFR hold shorts, although I will be doing some AI IFR FPs. Or will the regular hold shorts work for those flights too?

Yes, as you probably saw, the percent setting nailed me :D -- that would be a good point to put in your manual for AIFP (unless I missed it :rolleyes:) ----

Sure appreciate the help and comments. Quite a learning curve but sure appreciate the great tools you guys have put together.

Thanks again -- Bob -- :)
  11. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    The AI engine doesn't look at IFR H/S nodes. The standard nodes are adequate.

Lee Swordy did such a great job documenting AI formats that I saw no reason to redo it. That's why I refer readers to his TTools documentation.

Glad it's now working for you.
    Don