1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie with a basic question

Discussion in 'Other' started by ahunn, 30/3/07.

1. ahunn

ahunn

caymanislands
    Hi all, I am a RL pilot, but also a bit of a geek, so I want to start designing aircraft for FSX.

I have 3DSMax8 to use for the modeling, I am currently hauling through some tutorials... I have had a surf around the web but I am missing the high level overview of the process fromd design to flight.

I am looking for a basic roadmap for the entire process with enough detail for me to create a basic block/box aircraft in max, and go fly it in FSX, just the high points, It will be ugly and may fly like a grand piano, but I just want to go through the process before I start to learn the finer points...

I have huge knowledge gaps, like..
    what is the .air file for? and how do I edit it?

How do I start my design in max to make sure any reference points are correctly positioned, such as c.g, and the points of the aircraft that touch the ground, ie if I make a taildragger, how do I tell max/fsx that it is a tail dragger so that it sits like one!

what about the aircraft.cfg file, do I need to write one from scratch or use one from a similar design and edit it?

I really am looking for a very basic tutorial to get me started, any help would be appreciated...
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    I moved your post into the aircraft design section, hopefully one of the aircraft gurus can give you some good tips :).
  3. owenhewitt

owenhewitt

us-southcarolina
    The biggest parts of your questions are answered in the SDK. Hopefully you have purchased the deluxe version of FSX, as the SDK is included (but be sure to get the SDK update on FSInsider.com). There is an aircraft example as well that "shows" a lot of the stuff you are asking.

Best regards,

Owen