1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night Textures for Custom Sketchup buildings

Discussion in 'SketchUp' started by XZninjaX, 13/12/11.

1. XZninjaX

XZninjaX

unitedstates
    Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to the whole scenery design thing and have learned the majority of what I know through looking on the guides here. I have created 5 custom buildings for a Semi-Fictional Chautauqua Co. Airport for my virtual FBO.

I would like to know how to make these lit-up night textures for my Sketchup buildings. I have tried making the textures a lighter shade on Photoshop and putting those on Model Converter.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Matt
  2. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    Have you looked at this?
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/downloads/creating_night_textures.pdf

Otherwise, something I am playing with but not mastered yet is to bake a texture by rendering a night time view in Sketchup. There are commercial rendering programs, not really cheap though. I have been working with a freeware alternative, using a plugin called SU2POV which uses a freeware tool POV-RAY 3.7 to render the texture. The idea is to set shadows and light sources around your model then render it for both day and night. Then use the render as a texture/material instead of what you had assigned.

scott s.
  3. XZninjaX

XZninjaX

unitedstates
    This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks :)

Matt
  4. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    I you are using Modelconvertex too, just add them in the material editor as a new texture, just that, not update the textures because you will lose resolution in the textures of your model as I made earlier in the past :(, I think baked textures is a good way to go, because apply night textures to the seketchp model is very tricky, all those fragmented textures.
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I am not sure if your main question is how to make the texture or how to assign it. For the last section this video tutorial might help as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fsdeveloper#p/u/13/Qm8zEcsHmOE

Making the texture is mainly an artistic process in your painting tool. The tutorial mentioned before is an interesting one for that.
  6. XZninjaX

XZninjaX

unitedstates
    These tutorials have been really helpful. All I am confused about now is how to get these textures to light up the aircraft/other objects inside a hangar.

Thanks,
    Matt
  7. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Matt,

You can't really let FS light up other objects. If these are static objects you would have to make a night texture for them as well. If they are your user aircraft it is unfortunately not possible.
  8. XZninjaX

XZninjaX

unitedstates
    Thanks guys, it really helped me out! :) I'm just about done with the textures for this building (unless I scrap the roof texture).

Here is a picture of the fictional FBO(WIP) that I plan on adding to the next version of the scenery. Rendered from ModelConverterX:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Arno, one could use the same technique I described in "33MO - Leaming Field" to create an overhead "light" that would in fact light up not only the floor of a hanger, but any object parked within it as well...

...assuming that MCX will allow the FSX Material property settings required.