1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more Stargate Universe......!!!!!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by lionheart, 10/5/11.

1. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    For those that didnt know, Stargate Universe was cancelled last year. I found out recently, that they were running the last episodes. Well, I didnt realise that tonight was the last night. They ran the last two episodes tonight, back to back.. Didnt even extend it a week.

Who is this mgm? I thought they were a movie empire? I thought they did amazing shows and movies? These freaks cancelled the last, great, pure SciFi show.... These guys (noots) play wrestling on this syfy channel... WRESTLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on a SCIFI channel....!

giant, flying killer sharks... wrestle-mania... the world of mgm... I may cancel my cable channel group all together.. I'll get Dish tv. I will pay to NOT watch mgm programming..
  2. WarpD

WarpD

us-ohio
    SyFy is owned by NBC... which has the absolute worst track record regarding science fiction. They cancelled the original Star Trek in the 60's. They had SeaQuest: DSV that got totally mangled by the network exec's and their ideas of what should/shouldn't be in a show. They changed the channel name from SciFi to SyFy so they could trademark it. Then they slowly disassembled the channel lineup. It's now the ghost-hunting-W.W.E.-b-rated-horror-film-smack-down-channel. NBC's list of how badly they screw up regarding sci-fi is longer than what I've mentioned here... but hopefully you get the point.

NBC has exactly one 'success'... and if Jay Leno ever retires, that'll be gone too.
  3. beatle

beatle

us-virginia
    Yep, I think Syfy has developed MTV-Disease (named for when MTV stopped showing any music videos, and went to mostly stupid game shows and reality shows, but kept the MTV name, created MTV2 to show videos (which doesn't anymore either), etc, etc). Most of the cable channels seem to have suffered from it - AMC use to be American Movie Classics, now its just American Movie Channel (did they run out of 20+ year old movies?). Remember when HBO and Showtime used to actually show movies - now they both devote most of their primetime lineup to serial TV shows like they are a regular broadcast channel.

With more and more channels available on cable systems, you would expect the channels to become more niche based, but the exact opposite seems to be happening and they all want to be just general cable channels that show everything.

Sadly, if you want any decent sci-fi programming these days, you pretty much need to have BBC-America and watch the Sci-Fi from Brittain (Dr Who, Torchwood, Primeval, Hex, etc).
  4. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Purely by accident last night, I noted that Stargate Universe Season Finale was on SyFy...

...so I tuned it in, and sat down to enjoy the show. Much to my dismay however, the acting was mediocre at best, and the plot line plodded along...

...eventually I tired of it and changed back to watch the rest of Law and Order: SVU.

I just finished participating in a marketing survey (for which I was actually paid!), which among other things included a week long log of my television watching.

Much to my astonishment, there are actually only four channels that I watched the entire week, three of which I can receive using an indoor digital antenna...

...which means the only "cable only" channel is CNN. I can live without that!

Comcast is charging me $76.90/mo for "Digital Preferred" and another $8.95/mo as an "HD Technology Fee?"

Comcast has a "Digital Economy" package for $39.95/mo + $8.95/mo for "HD." I think I'm going to switch to that for a month or so. I may end up dropping the TV service entirely. I am quite satisfied with my Comcast internet, so I'll keep that.
  5. Ragtopjohnny

Ragtopjohnny

unitedstates
    I was shocked to see that "Wrestling" (Yes, in quotation marks) was on a Sci-Fi channel.

However, those who have Starz, HBO, might want to check out the following:

Camelot (About King Arthur, Merlin) (HBO)
    Game Of Thrones (HBO)
    The Borgais (Starz) (About Pope Borgais -- amazing story and excellent cast, with Jeremy Irons as the star)

All shows are really good. But I agree with William about the wrestling on a sci-fi channel. Maybe their costumes are the closest things that resemble sci-fi? LOL.

On a brighter note, on Cartoon Network, Looney Tunes (Originals) are back on during the day. Welcome back to the days of firecrackers, falling anvils, and idiotic arguing to have a good time....;)
  6. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Ive always thought they were great actors and a great, well chosen team. The 'Rush' character really rubbed me the wrong way and I hated to see him back on the show after he disappeared, but his character smoothed out a little bit, more bareable..

Youre quite lucky. Mine is $300.00 a month, add a few dollars. Our phone, HS internet, and cable is all on the same group and not worth it. I called to have the package removed that had syfly on it and they said it cannot be taken off, as its part of the base pack. I'll take it out of the dial-up sequence list.. heh..

I may drop them all together. All I watched was syfly. Not any more......

Bill
  7. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Oh, my total bill is $150.00/mo including the highest speed internet package they have.