1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Traffic after converting to FSX

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by bkircher, 27/1/09.

1. bkircher

bkircher

Hey there to all

This certainly looks to be a good program. It was really easy to navigate to get it to convert traffic files to fsx.

I do have a question though, I tried converting one of my traffic bgls to fsx format because it was previously in FS9 format, and when it finishes and all, I load the sim and I find that there is no traffic for the files I just converted.

Any comments?? ANy more information that I could give you??
  2. gyedema

gyedema

netherlands
    The solution is very easy: just delete (or remove) the old FS9 traffic files. FSX only shows FS9 traffic when both types occur. (not a bug, but a feature.. ;))
    See also this sticky.
  3. bkircher

bkircher

I did.

I removed the old fs9 ones from the world/scenery folder and copied the fsx ones into it, and I dont see anything.
  4. gyedema

gyedema

netherlands
    Use AIFP to search the ENTIRE FSX structure. So point it at the top level folder you installed FSX in, and let AIFP check (so not only \scenery\world\scenery!!)
  5. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    bkircher, as I noted in a "stickly" a couple of days ago, traffic files can also exist in scenery folders. So, you may still have FS9 traffic files "visible" to FSX even though you've cleaned-out all FS9 filesfrom the Scenery\World\Scenery folder. To be sure, you should also disable all add-on scenery from the Scenery Library (as a test) to be sure.

If you are certain:
    • there are no other FS9 files affecting FSX
    • the FS9 file you converted is OK
    • there is adequate parking at the airports you are checking, and
    • the required aircraft exist in FS9
    please send me the traffic file that doesn't work and I see if I can figure out why.

Don
  6. bkircher

bkircher

Ok will check later today. THanks for the help!
  7. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    There's a tiny error in my reply below. In the fourth bullet, the version reference should have been FSX.

Don
  8. bkircher

bkircher

I tried what you all said, and it partially works. I removed all of the fs9 traffic files and put in the two that I converted for fsx, US Airways and Express. And when I loaded the sim, there still was nothing. I loaded the sim at like 11 am in PHX. I looked for other ai traffic in the area and there were only 3-4 other planes in the area, In real life there should have been way more than that.

I didnt see any of the express planes. Its like theirs no density to it, when I normally have my ai set to 100%.
  9. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Bkircher

Were the 3 or 4 other planes U S Airways ( maybe even Express )or default AI? If they were neither, than you still have an FS9 FP in there somewhere. Tell us what those planes were.

Bob
  10. bkircher

bkircher

I removed all traffic files from the scenery/world/scenery folder. And added the US AIrways fps. They were not default fps. The 3-4 that I did see where US Airways not express. I dont know where else I would have traffic files for the sim to see.
  11. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    A sure way to test whether or not the problem is FS9 traffic files is to compile the file you are testing for FS9 and see if it works. If it does, there's another FS9 file somewhere. If it doesn't, then the problem lies elsewhere. I assume you've checked that the required aircraft are in you FSX "stable".

Given that the a/c you are seeing are US Airways, they won't be default traffic. Do you have default traffic enabled? If so, and you're not seeing any default traffic, that's another indication that is a FS9 file. Also, do you know what file is generating that US airways traffic. If it's not one of your FSX files, that should tell you something.

If you want me to look at your FSX trafic file, please send it to me right away. I'm leaving town early tomorrow morning and won't have access to my development machine for several days. (I will be monitoring the forum, however.)

Don
  12. bkircher

bkircher

Ok. Thats all fine and good, but the thing is that, I have the US Airways mainline and Express compiled into seperate bgls. So the only traffic bgls that I have in the sim is the 2 that were converted. Yes I have default traffic installed, but I removed that bgl from the scenery folder.

So I dont know what else to do. I have a bunch of woai stuff, but I removed them for this test.

here is a dl link to the bgls
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=WnBSSmI2UENWRCtGa1E9PQ
    Last edited: 29/1/09
  13. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Both files are OK. But there's one question that you still haven't answered explicitly. That is - Are all the required aircraft in your FSX "stable"?

I also note that all aircraft have a cruising speed of 220 kts. At that speed, many (most) can't adhere to the schedule and will be late. While I haven't studied it exhaustively, both FS9 and FSX start discarding AI that is more than about 20 minutes late . (Watch what happens in a long hold-short queue at a busy airport. And then there's the "37 minute problem".) Perhaps what you're seeing or, more correctly, not seeing, is another manifestation of this issue. Whether this is the problem or not, I don't know and I don't have time to explore before I leave.

What you might try is loading the bgls into AIFP (FS9 or FSX, it doesn't matter), restore the cruise speeds and re-compile.

I'll be monitoring the forum while I'm away. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Good luck,
    Don
  14. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    So you are saying the U S Airways FP works but the Express does not.

Did all of these FS9 FPs work as FS9 FPs? If you did not try them, then there could be parking radius problems. FSX has different parking rules than FS9.

If you could attach your two bgls, some one can look at them.

Bob

I see I was too slow in my reply
    Last edited: 29/1/09
  15. bkircher

bkircher

Yes they worked as FS9 fps. Yes the aircraft have worked in fsx. A collection of AIA, FSP, AIG, TFS.... I have altered the radius settings to make them more compatible in the sim.

Thing is when I only have the USairways installed, the entire airport is empty. No planes what so ever. Even with the 3-4 I did see in the sim, I didnt think that was right for the time of day of when I loaded the flight. So something is wrong here. They work 100% percent as fs9, and still dont really know what the difference between fs9 fps and fsx fps are.

I read that the cruise speed for the planes should be 220 or so because it would reduce the amount of go-arounds.

Ill change the cruise speeds and will check it out.
  16. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Bkircher

This may sound silly, but I think you should do a search of your computer to see if traffic files are where you think they should be. For example, my addon airports are in a folder completely outside of FSX. I have the library point to that folder so the airports show up. Sometime I forget where they are. I am thinking you have a stray traffic folder. Type "traffic" into your search box and see what comes up. I hope you are not sorry you started to change formats.

Bob
  17. bkircher

bkircher

It didnt come up with any other than the ones on my desktop, which are a back up to the ones im messing with atm.
  18. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    OK. I took your US Airways winter bgl, deleted all but the first FP, traded for a 737 that I have at default air speed(477 knots), put it in my sim and the plane shows up (as well as my default traffic). I checked at KBOS at 12:04. Don't give up. I will keep checking, but it would seem that the bgl is OK. Have you reset air speeds?

Bob
  19. bkircher

bkircher

Yes I have reset the air speeds. I am not sure of the results ATM because I have not really gotten to try it. I will report results when I get time. Thanks very much for all of the help.
  20. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Bkircher, I'm very interested in your results, since I'm not able to experiment myself for another few days.

When AIFP converts a file, it compiles in the "normal" mode. That means that the cruise speeds are halved in the converted traffic file. But in the case of flight plans where the cruise speeds have already been adjusted outside AIFP, such as in your case, this halving by AIFP in fact makes the cruise speed in the traffic file less than one-quarter its normal value (i.e, the cruise speeds that show as 220 in the decompiled FPs are reduced to 110 in the traffic file.)

While it's not clear that that is causing the problems you are experiencing, I can think of one way that it might. Fortunately, all I have to do to resolve the issue (once I get back home) is to use the "raw" compile mode when converting.

In the meantime, if that is the problem, it's easily worked around by restoring the cruise speeds - which probably should be done anyway, or loading and compiling the FS9 traffic file instead of converting it.

Don