1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non standard usage - FSx to FS9

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by gianp, 23/11/08.

1. gianp

gianp

italy
    Well,
    my usage of MCx is quite "non standard" - in fact I'm converting models from old
    "languages" to FS9 (nine!) and also regressing FSx models to FS9 standard.

At the moment the project is to release the "Aviosuperfici del Piemonte" (Piedmont airfields)
    mainly for FSx but also for FS9. (For those understanding written Italian language see:
    http://www.vvtorino.it and
    http://www.vvtorino.it/public/forumbb3/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=132fe24e15b4b80bc1951597ca0a95f7 )

The above stated, let's go to the "bug" (but it could also be that MCx works as designed as Arno
    writes that the ".x" file is for FSx):

When a model is converted from FSx to FS9, the exported rotation is wrong. The final
    result is to have Y and Z axis reversed.
    Luckily the temporary (or definitive?) fix is easy.

Edit the ".x" file and find all the occurencies of:

Code:
    FrameTransformMatrix {
       1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,
       0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0,
       0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,
       0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0;;
    }
    replace with:

Code:
    FrameTransformMatrix {
       1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,
       0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,
       0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0,
       0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0;;
    }
    save and then re-feed FS9 "makemdl.exe" with the modified .x file.

I don't know if the "bug" is fixeable or if the tool will lose compatibility
    with FSx makemodel, however it's handy to know.

cheers
    Gian Paolo
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Gian,

I will check this, there are some differences between FS2004 and FSX indeed. Also for the night textures I had to implement it slightly different.

Although this might be non-standard usage, I still would prefer that it works fine :).
  3. arno

netherlands
    Hi Gian,

Do you have an object for me to test? I tried it with some of the default FSX objects, but they show up fine after I export them as FS2004 MDL files. So if you have an object that shows the problem that would be helpful (or give me the name of the default object that fails).
  4. gianp

gianp

italy
    Hi Arno,
    a quick sample could be obtained downloading the 2nd
    package (Moncrivello) from here:
    http://www.vvtorino.it/italiano/scenarifsx/avio.shtml
    Then extract the model from Moncrivello.bgl and load it onto MCx (you'll need almost all the textures too).

Now you see the object in MCx - it's perfect!

Save in FS9 mdl format, generate a bgl with FS9 BGLcomp, place it in any active scenery and fire-up FS9.
    Your Y and Z axis will be swapped!

FYI - the models for the vvtorino aviosuperfici are done using the latest version of FSDS.

cheers
    Gian Paolo
  5. arno

netherlands
    Thanks, I will give that object a try and let you know what happens.
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi Gian,

I tried to reproduce the problem here, but until now without success. I have attached the FS2004 MDL as I generated it from the file you indicated. When I load this in FSX it shows up fine. I do not have FS2004 installed anymore, so I can not test if that is a difference.

Could you try it with this MDL file? That could help narrowing down where the problem is (X file, compilation, etc).

Attached Files:

7. gianp

gianp

italy
    Hi Arno,
    your model works just fine; that puzzled me very much!

So I started to analyze what could be wrong in my system and, of course, I've found the culprit: Me!
    It was early September, back from vacation, and I've done something not required to:
    I've registered your MCx dll's into my system (It was version 055 then).

Therefore I was using the new beta version with the old dll's that I havn't deleted. (Yes, it works!)
    I unregistered the old dll's and all is fine now. To confirm my findings I replaced (temporarily!)
    only the "ObjectWriter.dll" with the same of version 055. - The bug is back, as described above.
    The new version of ObjectWriter.dll is OK and writes the FrameTransformMatrix in the ".x" file exactly as in my temporary fix.

Sorry to have bothered you with a "non problem"!

Ciao,
    Gian Paolo
  8. arno

netherlands
    No problem, glad to here you solved it. And at least I tested the FS2004 export a bit more now :).