• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Normal mapping - help!

Country
poland
Guys,
I didnt touched NORMAL textures for MSFS, last time I did for P3D and was fine. Now Im in the truble. Maybe someone help me?
This is just the one texture modification for free DC-3 from MSFS. The model doesn't have all the lines in the fron section so I tweaked it a bit.... but my texture now is too metallic.

On the left its a my modification on the right is default.

BdbcJ7U.jpg

Original DDS texture is here
LINK: https://www.sendspace.com/file/zcnw48
Modified (my PNG)
LINK: https://www.sendspace.com/file/iyryfh

1/ How to convert this PNG file to MSFS standard? When I created DDS DX5 I see this metallic effect.
2/ Or maybe someone can convert it for right DDS format like this orignal one for me (pretty please!)? Maybe just a few clicks?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
1/ How to convert this PNG file to MSFS standard? When I created DDS DX5 I see this metallic effect.
2/ Or maybe someone can convert it for right DDS format like this orignal one for me (pretty please!)? Maybe just a few clicks?

Thank you very much in advance for your help
MSFS textures should be in ".png" or ".jpg" format. Developers should not convert them manually to ".DDS". The compiler will do the work.

For aircraft, there is a procedure to follow on new liveries. Technically, the normal map in new liveries shouldn't need to be changed from the original.

Country
italy
MSFS textures should be in ".png" or ".jpg" format. Developers should not convert them manually to ".DDS". The compiler will do the work.

For aircraft, there is a procedure to follow on new liveries. Technically, the normal map in new liveries shouldn't need to be changed from the original.
I'm talking exactly for a new livery. I just have to do a little modification of the original (removing a symbol and adding another, which is on the mat floor of the plane). So I basically open the normal texture but even if I do not modify anything just saving as dds screw up everything...which procedure are you talking about? Thanks

Country
poland
I used this (paint.net but not English version):

btw. for saving DDS second option of BC5.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Bez tytułu.jpg
    Bez tytułu.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 128
Country
italy
I swear I tried all the available option and still I get some artifacts (like a white metal handle becoming pure metal)

Country
spain

EzRyder6869 says:
Texture File Formats
ALBD - .DDS- BC1 (Linear, DXT1)
ALBD (Blurred) - .DDS- BC3 (Linear, DXT5)
NORM - .DDS- BC5 (Linear, Signed)
COMP & Decals - .DDS- BC7 (Linear, DX 11+)

Cheers :)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I swear I tried all the available option and still I get some artifacts (like a white metal handle becoming pure metal)

Pure metal is not necessarily should be pure white within your COMP.. It really depends on the type of metal it is.

It might be best to know what metal it is and to look ar your COMP map.

Country
italy
I don't touch the comp file. For trying, I just open the norm file with photoshop then export as a dds with nvidia plugin or intel's one, then in the game something strange appears, like metal or different reaction to light.
Are these options right?

Thanks

Attachments

• try.jpg
    try.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 73
Country
italy
This is just one of the artifacts I get...
besides these, the normal map works as regarding normals and my modification is right too

Attachments

• 1250410_20230104103345_1.png
    1250410_20230104103345_1.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 84
Country
spain
If it's a problem like metal or different reaction to light, it's a compression format problem.

That option you selected I don't see "linear signed", maybe that is the cause, because there are a lot of compression formats with BC5 that don't work.

I also tried the NVIDIA tool when I was trying to find a solution and didn't work for me. Until I found that with paint.net the process is much easier saving with those formats I wrote above.

Cheers

Country
italy
If it's a problem like metal or different reaction to light, it's a compression format problem.

That option you selected I don't see "linear signed", maybe that is the cause, because there are a lot of compression formats with BC5 that don't work.

I also tried the NVIDIA tool when I was trying to find a solution and didn't work for me. Until I found that with paint.net the process is much easier saving with those formats I wrote above.

Cheers
Thanks!
I suspected the problem was the tool...I will try to use paint.net

Country
italy

Cheers
I can't thank you enough!
And paint.net developers too 😂

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 85