1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice needs help

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by flyboy1370, 28/7/04.

1. flyboy1370

flyboy1370 Guest

I am underway on my first FS9 design project. I am recreating my former USAF airbase(Turner AFB, Albany GA(closed in 1969). So far I have completed the runway, taxiways, aprons, and parking, etc, using AFCAD2. I did a flatten and exclude before building anything. I used MakeScene to add the tower, fire station, fuel truck, and a boat dock w/boat. However, I have only used default objects, and there are no usable hangers, barracks, or other suitable buildings in the SDK default files. Is there any way to do this without learning GMax? Any help on this will be deeply appreciated.​
  2. FSEdge

FSEdge

Hey flyboy1370,

As the old saying goes...It truly is a small world...I see you are located in Cedar Park, TX. I call Cedar Park home too. Been here now about 12 years.

While I also have just recently joined this forum and probably won't be able to help answer your question, as I am sure others will though. I would like to encourage you to pick up Gmax. I have been using it just prier to the release of FS2K2. I know its ins and outs fairly well and would be more than willing to help you move up the learning curve without too much pain ;). Gmax impressed me to the point that I took a couple of classes at ACC last fall on 3Dmax. I came away from that with a ton of knowledge. So, pick it up and give a shot to building your own hangers, barracks and anything else you might want to put in your virtual world and if you get into trouble I am just a shout away literally. :D

Best regards

FSEdge
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    There are some alternatives for GMax, mainly FSDS and FsNova, but these two are payware and not at the Fs2004 scenery standard yet. So it is highly recommended to use GMax to create your objects.

It is true that at the beginning GMax might seem very complex, but once you know your way around all the buttons and options you will certainly enjoy the power it has. Just start with reading some tutorials (general GMax tutorials that come with the program, MS house tutorial).
  4. MCarr

MCarr

us-texas
    I'll second what Arno said. I have been designing scenery since CFS2 and tried Gmax when it came out with FS2002 and could not get a grip on it, for 6 months I tried. I finally went back to Nova and then FSDS, BUT I reinstalled it a month ago and I can pretty much do all I could with FSDS in it now, great program.

regards, Michael
  5. kurt

kurt

unitedkingdom
    where did you get makescene from? thanks.
  6. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean the MakeMDL plugin for GMax? You can download that one from MS.