1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZWK- Whakatane Aiport, New Zealand

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Timmo, 4/12/08.

1. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    This is almost ready for release as a freeware addon. Whakatane is a small airport in New Zealand and is where I started to learn to fly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(just a note: the lights of Whakatane in the background of one of the shots arent included- They are part of a payware NZ scenery enhancement I am working on)
  2. themexperience

themexperience

unitedkingdom
    Lovely work, eager to try it out :D
  3. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    _Nice_ fence work. Good lookin period.

On the airport I am currently working on, I have some light poles too, and I am working to add a ground splash and light cone effect to them. I assume you made the light cone in gmax, then alpha faded the texture?
  4. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    I used a version of ELDM lights that are posted in the freeware objects library (but reduced the size as they are suited to a larger airport than mine)

The light poles themselves dont really have a night texture as such. The light effect is simply two effects placed at the same XY location (different Z)which turn on at dawn, dusk and night-No 3D cone needed.

One effect is the light point and the other is the splash and yep they use alpha to blend.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1772
    Last edited: 12/12/08
  5. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    Ok thanks, I'll look into that lighting. I was using a different method, that I am not very pleased with.

Regarding your project, that's a neat looking terminal building for sure. Did you actually go to the airport and take photos?
  6. nz255

nz255

newzealand
    Yip

Timmo wouldn't have it any other way.....photo real forever!

Nice work man!
  7. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    Yeah I most certainly did- I was doing my flight training there so it was easy to take photos of stuff. I don't live near there anymore unfortunately but got most of the textures when I was.

Im currently optimising the model in Gmax as using Sketchup to model has generated a lot of inefficient bits (specifically in regards to texture vertices). It took the help of a fellow NZ scenery designer to drill down into the model and realise this (thanks toprob!)

Im also adding some cars to the carpark to make the place feel a bit more active (even though the airfield itself is very 'sleepy'....which made it great for a learner pilot!). Still on track for a Christmas release though
  8. Wantok

Wantok

papuanewguinea
    Great attention to detail, Timmo. The terminal and fence were superbly done. Yep, and get a few cars in their to liven up the scenery.

Cheers, mate.
    Wantok
  9. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand