1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Object placement tool recent problem

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by hefy_jefy, 1/11/07.

1. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy

us-california
    Hi all,

I have been using the FSX object placement tool for some time now and it has worked very well for placing both my custom objects and other stuff.

However in my (now very large) list of GUIDS there have always been a few that simply don't work, and selecting them always causes OPT to "hang" when previewing them, (you can get around the problem by canceling and starting over).

However as time has gone by the number of "dead GUIDS" (these are all from custom .BGLs I guess) has grown bigger and bigger to the point now where its almost impossible to browse the list (using up/down arrow keys) so I decided try and figure out where these rogue objects were located so they could be removed.

That was two days ago! I started by decompiling suspicious .BGLs and removing any with GUIDS that matched my "dead list" but it soon became obvious that there was more going on here than I thought...

I am now to the point where I have temporarily removed ALL third party scenery completely and there are still about 10 GUIDS in OPT that have a problem. I actually created a dummy object in Gmax with the exact GUID that matched a "dead one" - it showed up just fine.

I am forced to the conclusion that these objects do not exist but how to clear out the list? Does anybody know enough about the inner workings of FSX to know where this list is maintained? (I even looked in the registry), or is there a way to globally search FSX for a particular GUID?

I am even considering re-installing FSX ( I never do that unless its absolutely necessary!

Any ideas?

Geoff
  2. sparker256

sparker256

unitedstates
    I started out using OPT and now am using Whisplacer (http://lc0277.nerim.net/whisplacer.html) it will keep track of libaries including the original FSX ones and third party ones. I use Arno's Library Creator XML 2.0 to make my libaries. Hope this helps.
  3. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy

us-california
    Whisplacer

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes now I start reading the problems others have had with OPT I am also moving to Whisplacer. I have it running and connected, trying to figure out how to place anything other than one of the Edwards Hangers! - But I think it will work fine its cool that you can see the object in an active instance of FS.

Geoff
  4. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy

us-california
    Whisplacer

OK gottit working!

Very cool thank goodness for not having to deal with OPT anymore. Thanks again Bill and thanks to lc

Geoff
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    I don't think there is much you can do about the OPT problem, I don't think anybody knows where that list is maintained (if so, we would add our own objects with proper names as well). So using Whisplacer sounds like a smart move to me :).