1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Object Placer XML and Rwy12

Discussion in 'ObPlacer and ObPlacer XML' started by arno, 14/12/04.

1. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    It is time for a little update about Library Creator XML. Due to lack of time I have not been able to make much progress lately, but I will finish the tool. Mainly because there is also a purpose for it in the NL2000 team.

As most of you will know Rwy12 has been released some time ago and it does provide similar functionallity as Library Creator XML does. As Rwy12 works perfectly I do not want to create a clone of the with Library Creator XML, people who just want to place a few library objects are strongly suggested to try Rwy12.

But I think Rwy12 is not very easy to use for a designer who just wants to place one specific object he has designed in GMax. If you made a hangar for your local airport, it is a bit laborious to have to make a special XML file for the placer tool as well (besides the library XML). I think the strong point of Library Creator XML is that you can load your library XML directly.

So I will still finish the tool, but I am going to remove some functionality from it. I will not include the preview pictures for example, these are mainly useful for libraries and I suggest you to use Rwy12 for that.

I hope to be able to get a beta version ready around Christmas, when I should have a little more time.
  2. G-GROM

G-GROM

unitedkingdom
    Hi Arno,

Sounds good.

Thanks for your continued work.

I for one will make use of the new tool as you say, swapping to RWY12 or SceneGenX to place a single object is long winded.

Best Regards

Tony
    G-GROM
  3. maceo

maceo

us-southcarolina
    Agreed, Arno.

I for one will be anxiously awaiting your outcome. The RWY12 program is great for those who do not design the objects, but only want to place what we create. We need a tool to automate the placing of the GMAX output one at a time.

Keep up the good work!
  4. flightsimstudios

flightsimstudios

unitedstates
    Aww as an end user, I looked at RWY 12 and really didn't like it...

Any chance you might consider keeping the preview function? I don't want to use RWY 12 to have to cross reference...
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    As you can see it is not there in the current version :).

But it is hard to know which preview image belongs to which object, or I should have to name them according to the GUID. In Rwy12 the extra XML file links the image to the object, but I don't want that extra step, as being able to use the FS XML files or MDL files directly is what I prefer. So will think about it for a future update.