1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Objects on one side of Model becoming Transperant

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by icemotoboy, 5/3/07.

1. icemotoboy

icemotoboy

newzealand
    Hi guys and gals,

Important Details

• GMAX 1.2
    • FSX SDK (patched)
    • Developing for FSX

The problem

I have noticed that on one side of my model, objects will become transparent in FSX for no apparent reason. Reference the following image, displaying the unusual "partial transparency" problem:

[​IMG]

In this particular case, I had cloned the gear from the other side, but I have noticed it on several occasions now.

Problematic "solution"

By attaching the troublesome object to another object, on the other side, the transparency problem goes away. I did this by making very small boxes, and hiding them inside my fuselage, but when it comes time to animate (as with the landing gear) things get a bit annoying.

Potential causes?

I know that after installing the Abacus Flight Deck 4 (which is an absolutely fantastic addon I believe!), that my carrier would do the same thing around dusk and at night... However, my "partically transparent" landing gear does it any time of day. I wonder if perhaps they are related.

I am hoping that I've done something rather basic wrong, perhaps resulting from my cloning of the objects.

Any ideas?
    Last edited: 5/3/07
  2. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    Typically this happens when you clone and mirror using the mirror tool/icon.

FS does not like this.

The suggestion is to apply a mirror modifier to the cloned object.

Another thing - and I have absolutely no idea if it works.

If you attach the object to it's "original", and it displays correctly, what if you then detach it at the element sub object level?
  3. icemotoboy

icemotoboy

newzealand
    Thanks for the update, has "solved" the problem for me. It is meaning that I have to do my animation twice however, which makes it difficult to line up. Anyone got any tips for animating cloned parts, such as landing gear?
  4. Devils_Advocate

Devils_Advocate

singapore
    They're not transparent, they're "flipped polygons". Reset X-Form of the bad parts, if the polys flip (which they should), convert them to editable mesh (or add an edit mesh modifier), select all polygons (in poly mode) and click "Flip normals". The convert to aditable poly again if you like.

Problem solved :)
  5. icemotoboy

icemotoboy

newzealand
    Arrgh! That makes so much sense! Hehe, thanks - I'm going to try that when I get home from work. When you put it like that, it really does seem quite logical. I'm thinking your advice to me might be really useful to someone else who comes along and reads this :) Thanks heaps!