1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ObPlacer compilation problem

Discussion in 'ObPlacer and ObPlacer XML' started by woody, 15/2/05.

1. woody

woody

Objectplacer trouble

Hi Arno
    I am trying to place a API file and when i run objectplacer It says that it is placed ok but when i ry to comple it from with in the program i get a error saying (Runtime Error 53 file not found) wha tfile is it looking for I have SCASM file in the same folder like you said to do in the readme. any Idea's as to what is wrong.

woody
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Woody,

The compilation process as used in ObPlacer is sometimes still a bit buggy (by now I have learned better code to do it). So the best I can advice you is to compile the SCA file manual. Just drop it on SCASM.EXE and your BGL file should be created.
  3. woody

woody

obplacer

Thanks Arno
    that is what i did after i tried it a couple of times. got the bgl file . can you tell me were i should put the bgl . does it go in the addon scenery folder or the fs9 main folder . I put it in my addon scenery McGregor's folder and it doesnt show up.
    I guess i did some thing wrong.

woody
  4. arno

netherlands
    Normally you should just put it in the scenery folder of the project you are working on. If nothing shows then I guess something still went wrong during compilation. What is the size of the BGL (is it very small, then something might have gone wrong)?
  5. Flying Pig

Flying Pig

unitedkingdom
    Object Placer runtime error 53

Hi Arno,

I'm very new to all this and have had exactly the same problem as Woody.

The BGL file is very small...maybe that's the problem. Or could it be that I need a Visual Basic Runtime dll I don't have?? If that is a daft question, forgive me.. Like I said, I'm very new to all this. Having tried and failed miserably to place Macros using FSSC, your Obj Plac. programme seems ideal. Thanks very much. All best wishes,

:scratchch Glynn (aka Flying Pig) :scratchch
  6. arno

netherlands
    Could you both try something like this.

1. Start the command prompt
    2. Go to the folder of ObPlacer
    3. Compile your SCA file from there (typ scasm followed by the path to your sca file)
    4. See if any errors appear on screen

If errors appear here, something might be wrong with the source code, please post them back here then. This will probably help in solving it.

About the compile error, no it does not has to do with dll files. The method of calling SCASM to compile fails on some computers and then scasm or the sca file is not found during compilation. In more recent tools I am using a different method to compile and that seems to work better. Maybe I will update ObPlacer, but as API macros are becoming obsolete I can't tell for sure yet.
  7. woody

woody

obplacer help

Arno
    Od tried to do what you said and it gave me a error can'
    t fine SCA file. My BGL file is 32 KB . dont know if that is big enought or not. I hope we can get this working I have a lot of API's and I am very slow with Gmax to try and make ones that i can use with XML code. I still dont under stand all that stuff. but am reading all I can and all the stuff that you post. trying to fine some tutorials on setting up and what i need to do with Gmax to get it all working and what all the tools are that i need to use to have it happen like it is suppose to do . I was hopping that I could get a long for a while with your obplacer. I have been using FSSC for a couple of years and I would like to get a way from that . any way I have attached my BGL and SCA file for you to look at and see what i did wrong. ( this is from a DocG macro of a fire tower) I wanted to put it in my scenery at Misty fjords N55*39'94 W131*39'47 Elev 2398 feet heading 360

Attached Files:

Last edited: 17/2/05
  8. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

Is this the SCA as produced by ObPlacer? In that case the header of the files seems to be missing. ObPlacer should always add a correct header, else you can not compile your file correct. I will have a look in the source when this header is determined, maybe something goes wrong there.
  9. woody

woody

SCA file

Yes Arno this is from the Obplacer file. that is the file that came up after compiling it. what tool can i use to open up a SCA file to look at it.

woody
  10. arno

netherlands
    You can open it in any text editor, for example notepad.

If this is the result you got directly from ObPlacer I will have to look in the source why the header is not there. I thought it should be calculated with every object you add.
  11. arno

netherlands
    OK, I think I found out why it goes wrong.

Are you using the append option? If this option is also on when the first object is placed then no header code is written. So this option should be off for the first object and only turned on after that.

It's not very logical, but that is how I programmed it back then :confused:
  12. woody

woody

obplacer

Ok Arno
    I will try to just make a new scene and make sure that the appsnd button isnt check. I didnt think that it was but I am so new to this that i may have over looked it. thanks for all the help and time that you give us newbie's. I it would help I can send you the Macro that i am trying to place so you can see it maybe the problem is with that. I think it is a old macro so I dont know it that has any effect on it or not.

woody
  13. arno

netherlands
    Hi Woody,

If the SCASM file you showed before was the one ObPlacer made, then the API used has no influence. That code is wrong already and will never compile correct (as the header is missing).

So if you want to use multiple objects in one file, the append option should only be turned on after the first object has been placed.
  14. woody

woody

still not working

Arno
    ok I am just trying to put one object into the scene with your obplacer. "the fire tower". I didnt have the append check when i did it. I am using a Scasm compiler that seems old to me (dated 4/8/2002 ) could that be it and if so were can i get a newer version of it. other then that i dont have a clue about what is happening. I guess i will just have to go back to FSSC intill i can figure out XML coding. thank again for the help.

woody
  15. arno

netherlands
    Hi Woody,

You might want to try and download a more recent version of SCASM. I am using version 2.95 at the moment. It could be that your API contains some commands that have been added later.
  16. woody

woody

still the same

Hi Arno

I went and got the new scasm file. I tried it again and still the same thing no header in the SCA file I am sending you the Macro to let you take a look at it and see if that is the problem or maybe i just got a bad download of the obplace file when i downloaded it. any way if you have time take a look at this and let me know what is wrong. and thanks again
    woody

Attached Files:

17. arno

netherlands
    Hi Woody,

That API compiles fine here. So I guess it must be something else.

I took an additional look at your SCASM file. Have you really named it "tower .sca" (with the space before the dot?). I am not sure if SCASM likes that.

Another thing. After you have added an object to your SCASM file, could you go to the folder of ObPlacer. There should be a file called temp.sca there. Can you show what it contains to me?

Arno
  18. woody

woody

Got it working

Arno
    Thank you Thank you. I dont know what i did but i have it working now. I went and read the instruction again "go figure" and I couldnt figure out how you got the first "demo.sca" file so i just ran a API over the Scasm file and it made a SCA file for me to work from. I then renamed it to what i wanted and then did as the instruction said and there it was when i open up the SCA file it had a header in it . so i did make a BGL file put it in flightsim and there was my fire tower. Now i will try and append it and put some more things in at McGregor's Outpost. One more thing now that i have that working is it possable to make a liberty object of the stuff that I install so I can use it in other scenery or is that just for XMl files. anyway thank you Arno for all the help. I am sending you the SCA file that was made so you can look at it .

Woody

Attached Files:

19. arno

netherlands
    Good to hear it is working now, that SCA files look a lot better :).

About the library, you can also make an object library out of older objects (not made with GMax), but it is not as easy as doing it with the new MDL objects. You will have to do some source code tweaking to be able to put your API into a library. Once you get it into a library, only a very simple API is needed to call it again.
  20. woody

woody

Thanks again

Arno
    thanks again. I guess i will have to want on doing a libarty that way. I really want to try to get into XML. If I can figure out how to fine what i want in the flight sim I think that it would be easyer. I am thinking right if i use things form there I dont have to worry about the textures because everyone would have them (is that right). or am I wrong on that. There has to be a way for me to fine out what and were things are at so I can use them I have been looking at your XML liberity program that you made and the LVW program. " Dont know what i am looking at yet" But I will start reading the Doc's and see if I can figure it out. again you dont know how much help you have been to me and other's. very much appreacated.
    heck pretty so I will have to buy you a glass of wine and dinner.

woody