1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obplacer_xml for FSX ?

Discussion in 'ObPlacer and ObPlacer XML' started by edakridge, 28/7/07.

1. edakridge

edakridge

us-georgia
    Is there any chance of seeing an update of Arno's Object placer for FSX ?
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Maybe :D.

At the moment I am more working on other tool, but I am thinking about making an update.

I still need to test if the current version does sort of work with FsX (I think some features should still work, although the new library objects and MDL format will not work at the moment.
  3. edakridge

edakridge

us-georgia
    Yes Arno, it does kind of work. I always compile to a temp directory and move the files to addon scenery.The issues I have found are: It only will read from the FS9 libraries and effects folder. The FS9 SDK won't compile using FSX objects or effects. On the plus side: It will read location from the FSX FSUIPC. I would love to see an upgraded version, as this tool is my favorite for placing effects in scenery. I fly with a military VA and I use your tool almost exclusively for placing flak, explosions, etc for our missions.
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

Since I posted my reply, I did not some tests myself as well. Here are some more answers:

• If you manually edit the path to FS in the config.xml file, it can read your FsX effects folder as well. But by default it takes the Fs2004 path from the Windows registry.
    • The code to place effects has not changed in FsX, so placing FsX effects still works. BGLComp can compile it.
    • ObPlacer XML uses the Fs2004 BGLComp and therefore can indeed not work with FsX MDL objects. Even if you copied the new BGLComp to the ObPlacer XML folder it would not work, as the XML syntax has also changed. So this would indeed require an update to work.
    • Theoretically it should be possible to place default FsX library objects, if you feed ObPlacer XML a XML source file for that library that still uses the old Fs2004 syntax. But I am not sure if that approach is really easy, an update of the tool might be better :).
  5. sparker256

sparker256

unitedstates
    Arno,

I have tried to install ObPlacer XML on my machine which only has FSX on it. Does not seem to be very happy as it is looking for a config file that is missing. Having a tool that we could explore generic buildings live would be a great help to the group of developing tools for FSX. I understand that you are working on another tool but wanted to say If ObPlacer XML would work under FSX would make me very happy :D

Thanks for your time and am enjoy this website more than any other I visit.
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi Bill,

Good point, I should have made it so that the tool creates a template config file for you when it has a problem.

I think I will try to create a quick patch this weekend that makes ObPlacer XML a little more compatible with FsX. So not adding new cool FsX features yet, but just to make sure that the current version works with FsX as good as it can.