1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P3D v4 Odd texture flaw ( SOLVED )

Discussion in 'Graphics' started by Deano1973, 7 Dec 2017.

1. Deano1973

Deano1973

unitedkingdom
    Does anyone know what causes this? The fuselage has a dividing line running from the nose to the tail that's just visible, as if light reflection is different for the two sides. I tested the model itself by applying the left side texture to the right hand side and reversing the X-axis and the line vanishes, so surface normals on the model are not to blame.

I'll be slitting the fuselage texture maps anyway, but I'm not sure this bug will go away - any ideas folks?

Progress on the Reporter is otherwise going well :)

Baremetalline.jpg

2. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    It sounds like it may be one of three issues:

1. The right side does not match the left side (at the top). It looks darker to me.

2. The mapping is right up to the top edge of the texture, and mip mapping is grabbing a pixel or two from the bottom of the texture to blend. And the left texture does not have dark pixels at the bottom while the right side does. I always start my mapping a few pixels from the top edge (and extend the texture right up to the top). BTW, this is true for all 4 directions.

3. The alpha channel between the left and right textures do not match - one is darker than the other.

Hope this helps,

3. Deano1973

Deano1973

unitedkingdom
    Thanks Tom, I'll check all of that out. There are no alpha channels at this time, however the maps in FSDS also show a slight difference in shading so it could be something to do with that. Very odd. The booms also have a less obvious alteration in shade from left to right. I'll be mapping tops and bottoms also soon so fingers crossed that will solve it, but if not I'll follow your texture map advice and see what happens.

4. Paul Domingue

Paul Domingue Resource contributor

us-maine
    Are the vertices between the two halves of the fuselage welded together? Adjoining polygons may have the same smoothing groups but if they are not contiguous they will show an edge.

5. Deano1973

Deano1973

unitedkingdom
    Thanks Paul, I did check the vertices just in case but there was no sign that they were not welded ( I used snap to scale in FSDS ) and the process did not remove the join line. However, I did notice that no matter how many times I tried to "Join Parts" on the fuselage, which is a single piece, it still showed as un-joined. This may be the cause of the issue so I'll keep digging into it. As the booms also show a faint join line I'll check them out and hopefully get to the bottom of it...

6. Paul Domingue

Paul Domingue Resource contributor

us-maine
    Its been many years since I modeled with FSDS so I can't help you there but from what you said I'm willing to bet that the polygon mating edges are not shared.
    The model is looking great BTW. ;)

7. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    But he says that using the left texture on the right side makes the line go away, so I assumed the polys were OK and there was a problem with the right side texture?

8. Deano1973

Deano1973

unitedkingdom
    It was down to my own inexperience folks. I split the fuselage into four sections to test some multiple texture layers, and it proved very informative. The fuselage I had originally was fine but I had assumed that when mapping left and right, you had to use the whole section of map and could not combine that with selective sections of top and bottom mapping. D'oh!

The airplane's glossy, reflective texture set up compounded the problem also, and made it more obvious that the flaws where there when a matt finish and camouflage or similar might have hidden the "join" better. Finally, a large aluminium sheet overlaying the whole each external texture sheet emphasised the problem as the joins were not perfectly aligned. More time required on this for me, but all part of the learning process I suppose. Thanks to all who offered suggestions, onward and upward :)

Piccy shows the test "top" texture applied and the join line now vanished - the engine in the open bay is a low-poly version of my Wasp radial used for quicker compiling of the model.

Textureerror.jpg

N2056 likes this.