1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Mapping Components

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by scruffyduck, 26/9/06.

1. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    For those who are interested in creating addons which have a map based GUI you might want to look at SharpMap - http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=SharpMap .

2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Thanks for posting Jon, this is interesting. Do you know if it also supports editing of the data that is displayed? I have not found out about that yet.
  3. scruffyduck

wales
    I think so - it is possible to create layers. I guess if the shapes available don't work then it should be possible to add more. I've looked at it a couple of times but not gotten the time yet to dig into it in any detail
  4. ziporama

ziporama

unitedstates
    Very nice! Always on the lookout for this kind of stuff.

I had played a while back with the Piccolo toolkit for .NET found here: http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/jazz/index.shtml but it's general purpose and didn't have a GIS component. The nice thing about that platform is that on Windows it's tied to DirectX for hardware based rendering.

Cheers,

Etienne Martin
  5. scruffyduck

wales
    Thanks for the heads up on Piccolo :) I had heard of it but not really looked at it.