• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Orbx 0.1 width airports

I have a problem with many of the Orbx Pacific northwest airports in that they have a 0.1 runway width. I assume this is because they use custom runways or something. This is not a problem with default ATC and AI traffic but it cause a big problem with the VoxATC generated AI traffic. They have no problem taking off but arriving AI behave stange. I have tried making the runways wider and it solves the problem with AI but then I am stuck with a ugly default looking runway. Any way to make the runway wider but invisible?

Thanks

Mike

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Why do you feel the problem is with ORBX airports? They work fine with everything default. What is this VoxATC and it's problem with edited runways? The obviously is no provision for an invisible runway, or it would be used. The small replacement runway is a very standard work around, used by many, many developers, ORBX is by no means the first, perhaps just the most popular. If I were you, I would be asking VoxATC about their buggy software and checking their forums, if you paid for it, they owe you support.

ORBX does not need to establish or claim that their software works with all addons, the software works with default and that is adequate. If an air controller addon is not capable of functioning alongside airport addons, that is a definite limitation of the software and unless this is made clear to the purchaser, you are likely due for a refund.

Country
germany
Any way to make the runway wider but invisible?

In principle Rick is right. Nonetheless, at least for FSX + Acceleration ADE offers in runway settings a tick box for transparency. , I suppose (!) it should work for P3D the same way.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You can make runways transparent with ADE for P3D. This is also possible with FSX and the SP2 SDK. However for FSX it is somewhat hit and miss. If there is a checkbox in Runway Properties for Transparent then you can use it and hopefully the runway will hide. I think you need to handle the runway markings separately

upload_2017-11-27_16-31-20.png

Why I know the problem is with the Orbx use of 0.1 width runway is because the VoxATC AI works without problem on every other airport default or addon I have every used, even with Orbx own KHQM (Bowerman) that use a standard normal width runway. I also tried to make one of Orbx airports runway wider resulting in it looking terrible with a standard runway but the AI worked like a charm :)

The Orbx way to solve bumpy departures as a consequense of the 0.1 width runway seem to be to add a taxiway following parallel to the runway. That way you will roll on the taxiway. They do that for every PNW airport it seem.

Anyway. If I recall I tried to edit the Orbx airports a long while back with standard width runways and making them invisible for the Orbx airpirts to shine through but as I remember the result was never transparent. This might have been with FSX though and as our good Mistro said that was a hit and miss. Will give it a go in P3d v4. Cant hurt :)

Mike

Happy to report the transparent runway work for me in p3d v4. I can now edit the Orbx airpots in the PNW region with their correct width and the VoxATC AI act as they should. Been havig this problem for over 10 years so to say I am happy is not an understatemet :)

Thanks guys!

Mike

Country
us-virginia
Glad other you have a "bandaid" fix (in the UK it would probably be called a "plaster fix" ;)) for your issue through ADE. As usual, ADE seems to have sorting to remedy every challenge - an awesome app!

That said, =rk= has a valid point. The problems is not with ORBX, it is a VoxATC issue.

Scanning the VoxATC news on their web site, it seems they are responsive to customer issues - their most recent update was issued in September of this year.

I would suggest that you bring this issue to their attention. Their solution would fix the problem for all their customers, not just the ones who follow these forums. Plus it saves you the trouble of editing all those airports.

Just a thought.

VoxATC is an ATC addon that generates its own traffic based on the AI you have installed on your system and it controlls both your aircraft and the AI which make it somewhat of a unique product and great in every way. Unfirtunately that is more than one can say about the developer and support provided. The developer does his own race and does not reply to any support issues, widely known in the community unfirtunately. Great product, terrible support. Cant live with, cant live without it :)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Great product, terrible support.
This is an oxymoron where the second term obliterates the first. The same could be said about a crack dealer.
We do see our fair share of software/scenery issues and although ATC and AI have come up many, many times, this is the only thread at FSDeveloper that includes the terms "VoxATC" and "AI traffic" - that seems odd, for such reportedly buggy software. Checking the website, I expect the "News" section to be blank, or cobwebby, or state something about planned compatibility to the new P3D simulator, but instead I see a very up to date timeline of patches and updates, about every 4 months, the most recent being Sept 7th. Did you look here, mikced?
http://voxatc.com/Home.aspx/News

To me that does not seem like terrible support. Here from the product update page and yes, mikced, this is research I am doing that you, almost certainly, should have done:
Update to 7.4 to fix the following issues:

Incompatibility with P3D V4 add-ons that use its new facilities

Incorrect behaviour at the end of vectors to the an ILS approach in Europe

Faulty sppech recognition issues at some airports

Incorrect handling of scenery layers so that add-on airport data not used properly

Does that last statement look at all familiar or pertinent? ADDON AIRPORT DATA NOT USED PROPERLY? It looks to me like there is a strong possibility that you are still using version 7.4. It's probably the author's fault for not adding an automatic updater nor emailing your mom to remind you to check for updates and I will be so contrite to learn I've jumped to the wrong conclusion. Please confirm that you are using version 7.41.

Let me offer you one scintillating piece of advice about support and patches; the author has to be VERY responsive to customer issues, in order to know he even needs to release a patch that addresses incompatibility between 3rd party products. For him, the entire process took two months - which to me, is incredibly rapid and responsive. My interpretation of his reputation/credit rating, based on your testimony, went from abysmal to stellar after that discovery. I'm now wondering about the so called "community," because a patch to address 3rd party issues is most definitely a reply to support issues, who else would he be making the patch for?

Country
germany
However for FSX it is somewhat hit and miss. If there is a checkbox in Runway Properties for Transparent then you can use it and hopefully the runway will hide. I think you need to handle the runway markings separately
Jon, if you don't know it - who else??? :rolleyes:
Honestly, as far I know from some feedback, the transparency in FSX might work with the Acceleration Pack and not with other versions, I can't remember having issues with runway markings, but that might be that hiding them is just simple. BTW it seems to be the same for hidden Hold Short nodes.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I have never had any of the hide check boxes work for FSX except for the hold short node which isn't a polygon anyway, only the visible marking is.

Country
germany
I have never had any of the hide check boxes work for FSX except for the hold short node which isn't a polygon anyway, only the visible marking is.
Rick, the node is not a poly, that's correct, but even if it could be placed alone it has properties (a direction) and is in so far comparable with a textured polyline.