1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX out of memory error

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by robystar, 13/11/11.

1. robystar

robystar

Hi Arno,

Upon loading the dae file, adding the rotating radar mdl's and adding the textures again (I still had them from the previous mdl), I ran into an "out of memory" problem and had to close MCX.
    Haven't the faintest where the problem is as the extra mdl's were not that big.
    Cannot show you the event log though unless I can find it somewhere hidden.

Roby
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Roby,

Did it happen just one or can you reproduce it? I'll try to test what you did here, but if you can send me the files that cause it that might help.
  3. robystar

robystar

Hi,

I managed to get it done by exporting the dae file bits by bits (something is eating my memory?).
    Couple of suggestions why this could happen (not just to me but to everyone):
    - the undo button works but undoing things takes ages if it works at all and eats up all memory when a bigger mdl is loaded;
    - adding bumps maps makes MCX go berserk;
    - move object and center does not work as it should: it does not center (only almost);
    - still texture problems in the end:
    - importing a previously made mdl does not correctly render the dds files previously made;
    - it mixes up of night and day textures of previously imported dds files;
    - texture search path gets confused. What folder or what texture take precedence?
    -unable to ascertain why in some instances dds textures are flipped vertically and some are not?
    - converting textures through the mass texture converter leads to blurred textures;
    - adding night textures to day textures in another format (dds 5,3 or 1) also leads to problems (if the day textures are in one format the night textures should be in the same?).
    So far my findings.
    Hope it is not going to keep you awake tonight because they are only my experiences and there could be hundreds of reasons why and how I could have gone wrong myself.
    Everything looks good in MCX (be it collada files or mdl's) but upon conversion that is where the hiccups show.
    I keep on trying to give you some more info because I understand you will not have enough info to remedy the problems I encounter.
    So much for today.
    Good night and till tomorrow or one of the days after because we have to work in real life as well once in a while:).

Roby

PS No joking on my part? Nope, no joking if you would be me and finally try and get this vessel correctly textured, not using Gmax and not getting completely frustrated in doing so!
  4. robystar

robystar

I will send you the files and see what you can do about it.
    But first, tell me what files you would like to receive?
    I could zip up the vessel and its textures + the dae? Think I will do that.
    Thanks for bothering.

Roby
  5. arno

netherlands
    Hi Roby,

I got your file. I loaded the MDL here and the textures all look fine. I only had to select the right livery, since you stored them in a texture.min folder.

When I start to add bump maps I indeed see the memory grow quite quickly. That must be because of the undo function, combined with the fact that your model is relatively complex. Would it be an option for you to disable the undo (you can do so in the options) or would you prefer I add an option to limit the amount of undo steps stored?

Move to centre works fine for me.
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi Roby,

I have added an option to ModelConverterX now that allows you to specify how much memory can be used for undos. The default value is 1500 MB, if ModelConverterX uses more then the undo function will remove the oldest undo. Hopefully this can prevent such out of memory errors a bit more.
  7. robystar

robystar

Thank you Arno,

As long as I know that it is the undo function, I will be fine.
    However, you will also have to load the files into FSX to see what I mean regarding the other points.
  8. arno

netherlands
    Hi Roby,

OK, I'll load the model into FSX today and see how the textures look there.
  9. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I put your MDL into the scenery as a static scenery object and the textures look fine to me.

Attached Files:

10. robystar

robystar

Hello Arno,

It must be your latest bug fixes because I cannot reproduce the error any longer, not the out of memory nor the texture aberrations.
    Good work and thanks a lot (how you must suffer:)).

Roby