• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D Arduino

Country
us-california
Hi all,

I've been developing a program to interface Prepar3D with Arduino in support of my final university design project. In the past I came across an application that would do this, but I believe it was for purchase or did not have the functionality I required.

It's just a very small portion of my project, so it will be far from elegant. My goal is to allow a user to populate their own data packets for transmission to the Arduino and from there process it as desired.
I am just curious if this is something that the community would be interested in, and if so, I'll post it and try to keep it updated.

As of now I can send data to the Arduino from Prepar3D, and receive data back from the Arduino (if for nothing else but debugging).

Thoughts?

-Kobbe

6f84005222.png

Country
canada
I for one would be interested in this project. Looking for an introduction into how you would interface with the Arduino device. If you are willing to share the source code and any wiring diagrams, thanks

PS but careful you may become the resident expert on this and have to field all my questions ;)

Last edited:
Country
us-california
I for one would be interested in this project. Looking for an introduction into how you would interface with the Arduino device. If you are willing to share the source code and any wiring diagrams, thanks

PS but careful you may become the resident expert on this and have to field all my questions ;)

Ideally, I would be sending structs between the PC and Arduino but it has been hard to debug on the Arduino end. I've sent structs over UDP using #pragma pack but not serial COM. So right now I'm basically packing a string and sending it over to the Arduino. Need to optimize the communication with some handshaking but it works as is.

Working on getting a git repo going for the project so you can pull in the code and take a look.

Country
us-illinois
Hello Kobbe and Ron:

One of my FS multi-player flyer acquaintances is a retired engineer and a FS avionics peripheral tinkerer, who mentioned his work with project resources for a "Link2FS" and "Arduino" interface for FS by a knowledgeable fellow in New Zealand; perhaps this might be of some interest ? :idea:

http://www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Country
us-california
Hello Kobbe and Ron:

One of my FS multi-player flyer acquaintances is a retired engineer and a FS avionics peripheral tinkerer, who mentioned his work with project resources for a "Link2FS" and "Arduino" interface for FS by a knowledgeable fellow in New Zealand; perhaps this might be of some interest ? :idea:

http://www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Interesting! Seems he incorporated quite a bit into that program. I haven't done my research on SimConnect to know whether or not his FSX based application would work with P3D or not, maybe I can give it a try.

My program is supporting virtual flight tests, so I will require SimConnect variables like acceleration, control surface deflection, etc... I think that one is limited in this arena.
Thanks for the info, though, I think this will be useful for many!

My git repo can be accessed here: https://github.com/scubakobe/P3Duino

Kobbe