• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3DV3 Modelling - Help Understanding Request.

Country
turkey
Dear Forum members,
I am very much new to this forum as well as to FS development. This is my first post and with many questions, so apologies :)

I have been trying to understand modelling in P3DV3 and availed myself with 3dsmax15. I went through basic steps LM has provided to export model and I managed to get the famous OilRig placed near runway 34R on Seatac (KSEA) airport.

After this I decide to create a simple object and do the export, so I created a cone shaped object. I could export it and even had it placed on the runway. However in spite of adding bricks like textures to it under FSX shaders option in ACES tools, the cone do appear without any texture (Perfect black body!). This is the point I feel I got stuck. I tried creating a mipmap via ImageTool and have it placed under texture directory. No luck. Can somebody guide me what I am doing wrong here. (Please refer to attached png file for details). When I visualize using directX option, textures are not visible either within 3dsmax.

Further I wonder even if I did not specifically create any mipmap or textures for OilRig sample, how come it is appearing with all its textures correctly. Has LM already factory shipped relevant textures ? Confused.

I tried searching through various thread but did not encouter any crisp procedure for the starters. Though I agree hard way is the best way to learn.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Pandu

Attachments

• 2016-05-27.png
    2016-05-27.png
    274.9 KB · Views: 355
To make textures appear in the sim you must design them properly, their size in pixels must be a factor of 2, like 256x256 pixels, or 1024x2048pixels, etc. The image is assigned to the diffuse channel of a material in max. The material then must be assigned to the polygons you want decorated. Generally, we will want to map the placement of the image on the polygons in max, however not all textures need mapping. Then you need to do an export using the Aces tools, this part you seem to be doing correctly. Finally, you must make a copy of the image you assigned to the material, and convert it to a dxt format using imagetool (this tool is in the sdk). Then finally, you make a folder system that had a folder for scenery, and another folder for texture, and put the bgl in the scenery, and the dxt file in the texture. Then you add the scenery to the sim library.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Your texture is 2688x1344 pixels. Crop it to 2048x1024 before converting it to .DDS and see what happens.

Country
turkey
Hi, I tried above still no luck, so something more I am doing wrong.

I changed resolution of image to 2048X1024. Please see attached ACES shader screenshot. I then exported the mdl file and had it converted to bgl before placing it in scenery directory.

I then used this resolution image and had it converted to DDS using ImageTool before finally placing it to texture directory.

I could see refresh of scenery P3D fired while loading.

Please guide.

Regards
Pandu

Attachments

• 2016-05-28.png
    2016-05-28.png
    430.8 KB · Views: 329
  • Cone.png
    Cone.png
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 354
Do you have your options set to display large textures? I don't have p3d, so I can't tell you the exact setting, but others will know.

Country
turkey
Hi Bob, I will check if there is any such setting. Alternatively I will try to create something small with relevant textures and see what happen. I will keep in mind earlier suggestions you and Tom provided. Thanks.

Anybody having P3D, any suggestions/guidelines please ?