1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parameters for ObPlacer

Discussion in 'ObPlacer and ObPlacer XML' started by Golf-HotelDelta, 6/5/05.

1. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    This is my first attempt at using ObPlacer and an API macro. It seemed to work ok, but I am not sure what is the meaning of Range(v1) and Radius(v2) are these in metres? Secondly, the parameters of the API I am using are:

; %1 = Latitude
    ; %2 = Longitude
    ; %3 = Range
    ; %4 = Scale
    ; %5 = Rotation
    ; %6 = Not used
    ; %7 = Not used
    ; %8 = Not used
    ; %9 = Not used
    ; %10 = Visibility range
    ; %11 = Altitude
    ; %12 = Scenery complexity

which are also specified in the ObPlacer dialog. Do I need to specify the User parameters as well as the dialog parameters?

George
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Georg,

v1 is %10, so that is the visibility range (in meters). The v2 value is %14, but it could be that it is hard coded in your API already, in that case you don't have to enter it in ObPlacer as well.

The user variables are %6 till %9, and as your header shows they are not used in your API. So there is no need to enter them.
  3. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Thanks Arno, but what is the meaning of V2? What radius is this?

As I said, the object placed correctly but may not have the required visible range.

George
  4. arno

netherlands
  5. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Thanks again Arno.

When you say that V2 determines how far the object is behind when it is not drawn, does this mean that if it has a small value, it will disappear in spot view when looking at the aircraft from the front? In this case, the object is behind the aircraft geometrically, but in front of the eye position.

George
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi Georg,

No, all these calculations are from the eye point. But when you eye point is in the aircraft you need to know the radius, as the object will still be in your v1 as you have passed it and it is behind you. So the v2 is a second range that determines how far beyond the reference point the aircraft must be before the object should no longer be displayed. Setting this too small will result in object dissapear while you can still see them.

But many programs hard code the v2 value in the macro (so that the optimal value is always set). So maybe you don't have to worry too much about it :).
  7. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Hi Arno,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, I now feel as comfortable with Scasm as I am with XML ;)

George