• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Partly Dissappearing Ground Polygons

Country
germany
Hey there,

since i´ve started to develop a Scenery for "Erfurt - Bindersleben" Airport (ICAO: EDDE) i had been on this site researching for Tutorials how to create Custom Runways and such, you know... , the basic stuff.

So i came along Bill Womack's Great great Tutorial on creating High Quality Ground Polygons. Everything worked out nicely appart from one problem.
When i'm for example in the Piper Cub Taxiing on those Ground Poly's they seem to disappear or flicker arround the Airplane.
I really have no clue what is going and i hope some of you Pro's can help me out on this thing.

On the Attachments i putted in some Screenshots of the Situation.
Both the Taxiline and the Ground Poly´s were created in the same manner except that in the Taxiline ASM Code i inserted the number "12" instead of "8" because i wanted it to be above the Poly.

Code:
ADDCAT      OBJECT_0_SCALE, 12

So, thank in advantage and excuse myself for my English, i speak German for living.

Attachments

• gp.jpg
    gp.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 489
  • gp01.jpg
    gp01.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 515

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Are you tessellating the ground polys so there's no more that approx. 100m between vertices? That's one reason we sometimes get visual anomalies. The far more common reason is that there's a problem with your underlying flatten. Make sure you've fully flattened the airport grounds, and that the flatten altitude agrees with the airport altitude.

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Do you have the same problem with only one layer of polys or does it only happen when you stack a few on top of one another?

What is the elevation of the object in the modeler, this happens to me when I place the taxiways to -0.1 so I can draw the taxi line.

Country
germany
All the object in the Modeler are At 0,0m.
The Taxiline on the Screenshoot was exported as an spearate BGL. I already tried putting it in the same BGL like the concrete but the Problem is still the same (flickering Concrete, 100% visible Taxiline) <-- Thats what i think is weird :confused:.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do you have a flatten active in the area?

Country
germany
Like i´ve said, i had them in separate BGL on the Screenshots, the Concrete on 8 and Line on 12, however when i exported it in one BGL i set them all on the same Level and the problem persists.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No i have not

I would try to add a flatten then. Without that you are not sure if the ground is really flat. That, together with the distance between vertices of maximum 100 meters as Bill said, should make sure they display correctly.

Country
germany
Ok, i tried adding a flatten by adding this line of code to the scenery.cfg

Flatten.0=1036,N50 59.00,E10 55.98,N50 58.75,E10 59.09,N50 58.56,E10 59.08,N50 58.80,E10 55.98

and IT WORKED.

But i really want it to get into a BGL file.
So i tried the tools Flattex, FSTflatten and SBuilder but i just couldn´t create a bgl with a flatten in it.

Can somebody help me creating such a bgl?

Country
germany
I already used FSTflatten as mentioned in my post.

Thanks for the link. I did it the manual way and in now got a flatten bgl and my Ground Polygons don´t flicker a bit.

So thanks for all the support. This brings me a giant step further in my first scenery. :):)

Country
germany
Yeah i tried FSTflatten but as i said it didn´t work out for me.

When i start it it already gives me an Error 13 Type mismatch and then when i try to use the program it just bugs.

I know how to handle it but it bugs

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Which FS version are you working with? For FS2004 I always used SBuilder and for FSX SBuilderX. In there it is quite easy to draw a flatten polygon and export it to a BGL file. If you say that does not work, maybe you can give more details on what does not work.