1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2004 Photoreal Ground textures and MS weather haze

Discussion in 'General' started by gaputz, 4/5/12.

1. gaputz

gaputz

ca-saskatchewan
    My latest project includes a number of photoreal ground textures tiled together and placed using the FS2002 asm tweak method. In weather situations when a FS haze layer is depicted, the haze blinks in and out at seemingly random points when flying over the scenery. Has anyone experienced this phenomenon and if so, what causes this and what is the solution?

Greg Putz
    Regina, Canada
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Yes, that is a known problem. Do you have one or multiple reference points? Having multiple might reduce it a bit.
  3. gaputz

gaputz

ca-saskatchewan
    I am not sure I understand what you mean by multiple reference points. All of the 36 tiles are compiled as a single unit but I did try placing them individually, and in groups. The problem persisted so I gave up on that idea. Arno, is that what you mean by multiple reference points?
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

Multiple reference points would mean the tiles are placed at different coordinates, with the coordinate being in the middle of that group. That would help a bit since the distance to the reference point determines the amount of fog.

You could try the modelconverterx ground polygon wizard. It has an option to spilt the polygons into different groups, each with their own reference point.

But even that would never completely solve the problem.
  5. gaputz

gaputz

ca-saskatchewan
    Thanks Arno, that makes sense. I will give it a try.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Greg
  6. gaputz

gaputz

ca-saskatchewan
    I changed the reference point for the tiles that surround the airport and it made a huge improvement. As you mentioned, it is still an issue but now the haze for the entire area doesn't pop in and out when on approach and take off. In fact I moved the reference point for the photoreal fields considerably north so now one can orbit the airport without the entire area popping in and out of the haze.

Arno, thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.

Greg
  7. arno

netherlands
    Hi Greg,

Glad to hear that it helped :)