1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop vs Paintshop

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Snuffy, 13/3/08.

1. Snuffy

Snuffy

us-florida
    I've just downloaded a paint template that was done in photoshop. I have paintshop.

There are at least 15 or so PSD files in this package, when I open the files in psp, they all open just fine except two. (And wouldn't you know they'd be the most critical files I need!)

When I go to open these files, I get an "unsupported feature" error.

Anyone here able to tell me what this means and how I can fix it? I've contacted the originator of the templates and he says they all work just fine, and I got to believe him, after all he made them. (just he made them in photoshop and not psp.)

I've downloaded and extracted the files 6 or 7 times just to make sure I do not have a corrupt download, I even extracted the files from the download repository site hoping to overcome the issue, no joy.

I'm desperate here ... the template was created by ICDP and put on the avsim site. Its a paint kit for the Shockwave B-17II native FSX aircraft. The two files in question are in the Main Textures folder and are b17g_1_t.psd and b17g_2_t.psd

I appreciate the help.
  2. ccartmel

ccartmel

unitedkingdom
    Paintshop v photoshop

Snuffy,
    Unless someone contradicts me then my belief is that it is necessary to have Photoshop (or PS Elements which I assume will also work) on your machine to make use of the features within the file which are photoshop only, i.e. incompatible with PSP.
    PS Elements is available in the UK at around £50.00 (GBP) and is a cut down Photoshop, having many commercial features removed. In my opinion PS is a more competent tool for manipulating graphic files. It was many years ago that I used PSP however and it may have evolved a great deal since then.

Hope this information helps, although it is probably not what you want to hear:(

Edit: NVidia provide a plug-in for Photoshop which will allow manipulation of the .dds files now compliant with FSX graphics standards.
    Last edited: 13/3/08
  3. Snuffy

Snuffy

us-florida
    Thanks ccartmel,

I have no problems opening any of the other 13 or better files that are also all done with photoshop ... in this paintkit.

I'll give the plugin a try.

What happens is the other files all have about 75 or 80 layers, all are visible and I can work with them in PSP. Just the two I mentioned come in corrupt with the error message, and I only have 1 compressed layer in those files.

Thanks again!
  4. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    PSP is unable to open .PSD files that have an Alpha channel layer included.

That's because of the weird way that PSP handles Alpha channel images as just another "normal layer" internally.

The only solution would be for someone with Photoshop to cut-n-paste the Alpha channel from the .PSD file and make it the "top layer."
  5. Snuffy

Snuffy

us-florida
    Thanks Bill. Good information to know.
    I'll have to ask the originator about it. :)
  6. ccartmel

ccartmel

unitedkingdom
    Plug in

Snuffy,
    The plug-in is for Photoshop so will not be compatible with PSP.

Bill: Thanks for the info on the Alpha channel being the culprit here.
  7. MichaelD

MichaelD

us-texas
    As a last resort, you might try opening the files with GIMP. It supports the .psd format and seems to handle the Alpha Channel in the "normal" way.

Recently it has become much easier to install (no need to download and install the GTK runtime environment separately) and it's actually a very good paint program. Although, the interface takes a little getting used to.
  8. Snuffy

Snuffy

us-florida
    Now ya tell me, I just found a downloadable photoshop program and bought it for 89 dollars (u.s.) Version 8.

Oh well ... If I can't figure it out, I'll be back I'm sure.

Thanks Guys.
  9. Snuffy

Snuffy

us-florida
    Okay I'm home, have downloaded the "program" I "bought" and have tried numerous times to transfer these files to PSP, but have been very unsuccessful. I've even tried deleting the alpha layer and I still get the unsupported feature error.
  10. Snuffy

Snuffy

us-florida
    Update ...

I downloaded the Gimp (thanks Michael) opened the PSD and found that there was a selection box open in the base file.

I closed the selection box, and resaved the file as a PSD with the alpha channel and everything, and it now loads without problem into PSP.

Go figure.

Thanks all.
  11. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Well, now that you own Photoshop v8.0, at least you can use the nVidia plugins for DDS file conversion and normal mapping (bump file creation).