1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX Placing Autogen with Annotator

Discussion in 'Autogen' started by IGrant, 2/2/12.

1. IGrant

IGrant

us-michigan
    I have been working with the autogen on my first scenery project and I am very happy with the progress but I am getting a little hung up in one aspect. I am wondering what the best way to 'precisely' place trees would be.

The problem is a few areas where there is a thinner line of trees. I want some good coverage over this but so far I either get one or two trees in a line that I would like to see have at least 4 or 5 with medium settings OR the trees don't conform very well with the line defined by the photo texture underneath and scatter outwards a bit. Placing a regular vegetation rectangle over the line results in the sparse coverage and outlining it with a polygon region ends up messy.

What is the best method for this? I know that I can change the 'resolution' with which FSX conforms to autogen placement areas and can make it more precise but I am trying to design this scenery so that it will look best with mostly default settings. I thought about placing several of the vegetation rectangles in the line... would that help? I am just having issues keeping a balance between dense coverage vs. staying in the lines!

Bonus question: what happens if I overlap placements? If I have scrub, could I blend it with forest by having the regions overlap some?

Thanks much!

Ian
  2. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    I think a good idea is to use tools like Fencebuilder, or FsxKml, you can place lines of objects, in this case trees, though I have not tried yet :cool:
  3. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    I think a good idea is to use tools like Fencebuilder, or FsxKml, you can place lines of objects, in this case trees, though I have not tried yet :cool:
    FsxKml could ve giving problems because google earth have updated and seem make problems with FsxKml, no sure.
  4. IGrant

IGrant

us-michigan
    My fear of using objects as opposed to autogen is that I would lose seasonal variation. If I knew I could place them as objects in something like ADEX and maintain seasonal variation I would definitely do that! So far I haven't had any luck with that, however.
  5. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    I only see the pratical, I think you just need a line (google earth kml) or path,as usually are named, and choose your object I only have experimenting with thelephon poles, I tihink it's very easy, but I did not think about the season effectively.
  6. IGrant

IGrant

us-michigan
    That is a fantastic idea for the telephone poles near my airport! Getting the changing seasons is my big problem for sure. Since the airport is in the northern U.S. it goes through a hard winter so I need snow or it looks a bit funny! I will keep experimenting though. Does anyone have any insight on how FS might treat the autogen placements differently? I am talking about the vegetation rectangles versus the polygon region option. If I knew the logic behind the two different methods it might serve me in adjusting accordingly.
  7. JRobinson

JRobinson

unitedstates
    If you use one of the "city" varieties of trees they don't include "sets" so they won't "scatter outwards" as you've mentioned. You can make very small veg rectangles that represent basically a single tree. Rather than draw every tiny little rectangle, you can copy one (or one hundred for that matter) and paste it numerous times with a right click.

Jim
  8. IGrant

IGrant

us-michigan
    Thanks, Jim, I will definitely give this a try! I knew there had to be some little trick to it since I have seen very precisely placed autogen in other scenery.