1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poly counting?

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by Emb190jb, 7/9/08.

1. Emb190jb

Emb190jb

When making AI aircraft, modellers are stingy on polys. what are common ways of reducing polys?

Does glass use up more polys? Is that why AI planes don't have glass, or is it becuase you need to put something behind it so it won't be looking through the plane.
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

What kind of material is on a polygon does not matter for the amount of polygons. So glass or not, does not matter for the polygon count, although using transparency might require to use more polygon behind it as you mention.

Besides polygons, the amount of drawcalls is even more important for the framerate. That is determined by the amount of materials you use on the object. Being able to bring down that amount will have a bigger influence than saving a hand full of polygons.

About the glass, I guess the main reason to not use them, is that you will not really see it from the distance you are supposed to look at AI aircraft. Then it makes no sense to model more detail.
  3. Emb190jb

Emb190jb

Thanks Arno. Would you mind explaining what drawcells are?
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Have a look at this article on the Wiki.

But simply said a drawcall is the batch of drawing all polygons with the same properties (so same color, texture and all other settings). When any of those settings changes, the rendering engine will have to update its state and that takes time, so it slows down drawing.
  5. inaki

inaki

philippines
    FSDS Maximum poly count

Hi guys. I am starting with FSDS3.5 hoping to come up with an FS9 aircraft model. I haven't finished the model yet and when I compile it for testing, it says something like I reached the maximum polygon count and the model will not be loaded properly. Now, my question is how can I lower the poly count? Am I overdoing the model with unnecessary cross-sections? Other than cross-sections what else should I be looking out for?

Hope the FSDS gurus can elucidate.
  6. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    The main thing that glass causes is that you will need an interior. Thus seats, a pilot, panel, etc.. If you didnt have windows, then you can use a photo real exterior that has what looks like real glass and the poly count will be nothing compared with the windowed version.

Cutting windows can usually increase the poly count immensely as the windows are usually round, and cut out of polygons that are usually rectangular. Thus you have a high amount of Vertices.

Vertices are the actual 'thing' that is going on. The polygons that you see in FSDS are usuall 4 sided and larger. But in FS, the entire mass of work is looked and and processed as triangles. Thus, each set of 3 Vertices make one polygon. Thus a 4 sided polygon (4 Vertices only) is actually 2 polygons.

If you want a high saturation of these planes you are making (such as 10 or 20 jetliners at an airfield like Heathrow) and you dont want the frame rates hit hard, 'not' having windows is the better route to go for AI. But it doesnt look as neat.

Performance versus appearence. Mind you, window graphics can be done amazingly well.

Decisions, decisions....

Bill