• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

prepar3d v1.cfg

Country
france
Hello,

I installed AIFP 3.1.14 and I have this error message:
"Unable to locate prepar3d v1.cfg (which identifies the aircraft top folder). Please select it from the next dialog"
But I never installed prepar3d v1.

Simulators installed:
FSX and prepar3d v3

greetings

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
rmayor, from an examination of the code (which has been updated to generate this message in 3.1.14), this message can only occur if AIFP has reason to believe P3Dv1 is installed on your computer. It makes this determination:
  • first by checking the AIFP.ini file to see whether or not there is any record of it,
  • second, by finding the appropriate entry in the system registry.
Due to an issue I have just discovered, I can rule out the former. I suggest you examine your system registry for an item entitled "Prepar3D" with a subitem named "SetupPath".

Or you can wait to see if the fix I'm about to make eliminates the problem (which I doubt).

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
3.1.13(k) and 3.1.14 should be identical. (You would probably not receive that message in 3.1.13, however.) I suppose it's possible there was an unintended change between those versions, since the application had to be recompiled to update the version number.

I'll see what I can find.

Don

PS: Just to be sure, did you try Development Release 3.1.14(a)? If not, please do so.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Patrick, I appreciate you have not installed P3Dv1. But, have you confirmed that you have no registry entry for P3Dv1 of the nature I described?

I can easily cancel the message. But, the ONLY basis I can find for it is that a registry entry exists for P3Dv1 and a file named "Prepar3D.exe" exists at the location it specifies.

Please do the following with 3.1.14(a):
  • with AIFP not running, delete the file Version.ini
  • start AIFP and, when you get the message, click Cancel
  • shutdown AIFP and open Version.ini (its just a text file)
  • tell me what you find in the entry "Path to PV1".3Dv1 is installed at that location

Don

Country
france
Path to FS9=
Path to FSX=
Path to PV1=L:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
Path to PV2=
Path to PV3=L:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
Path to FS9 .cfg=
Path to FSX .cfg=
Path to PV1 .cfg=
Path to PV2 .cfg=
Path to PV3 .cfg=C:\USERS\PATRI\APPDATA\ROAMING\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.cfg
Path to FS9 SDK=
Path to FSX SDK=
Path to PV1 SDK=
Path to PV2 SDK=
Path to PV3 SDK=
Path to PV3 Compiler=D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 SDK 3.0.10.14945\Environment SDK\BGL Compiler SDK\bglcomp.exe
Target FSVer=P3Dv3

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
So, that would seem to confirm the presence of a P3Dv1 registry item. I have no idea how it got there. But, what I can tell you is that so long as it remains, AIFP will continue to report the error.

If this were a general problem in AIFP, I would expect anyone else using 3.1.14 or later to also be reporting it. Otherwise, I can only conclude it is confined to your system.

Should it be the case that installing P3Dv3 also creates this registry entry, then I'll have to find a workaround. But, before doing anything, I'd like some confirmation to that effect, because anything I did to alleviate your situation may well have adverse effects on others. (I do not own P3Dv3 and have no immediate plans to acquire it.)

Don

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Um, shouldn't that be:

Path to PV1=L:\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Um, shouldn't that be:
Path to PV1=L:\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
That's what it should be if it was created by the P3Dv1 installer. It appears that P3Dv2 was never installed on this system, or was uninstalled. Since the path clearly leads to P3Dv3, I wonder it's a side-effect of the P3Dv3 installer under certain circumstances.

Don

Country
france
in the file version.ini, in the entry “Path to PV1”, I removed “L:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3”, then I opened AIFP 3.1.14 (a). the error message disappeared, and all functions normally

patrick

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Patrick, I am going to assume that all is now well.

It would seem that, when you earlier reported the path from Version.ini, you had not deleted that file before startup (else that path could not have been found). All I can conclude now is that in one of the earlier development releases, by error or otherwise, that path was entered into AIFP.ini and it was carried over into Version.ini (a new file in 3.1.14). That being the case and since Prepar3D.exe was found at the end of the path, AIFP assumed it to be valid and retained it.

Don