• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Prepar3d V4 SDK Performance

Country
portugal
Hi,

I think I haven't seen any threads talking about this, so this is a conversation thread, exchange of ideas.
I read somewhere, I believe by a PMDG staff, that even sceneries, If not exported with V4 SDK Tools, will not have the best performance possible.

Is this true? A scenery made for V3 will not have its best performance on V4?
I'm not even talking about the dynamic light or the trees, a simple scenery...

If yes, what do you need to do? Using MCx, for example, you just have to select V4 and it will be able to use all the V4 capacities?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Hi,

I think I haven't seen any threads talking about this, so this is a conversation thread, exchange of ideas.
I read somewhere, I believe by a PMDG staff, that even sceneries, If not exported with V4 SDK Tools, will not have the best performance possible.

Is this true? A scenery made for V3 will not have its best performance on V4?
I'm not even talking about the dynamic light or the trees, a simple scenery...

If yes, what do you need to do? Using MCx, for example, you just have to select V4 and it will be able to use all the V4 capacities?
It is not true. Your first clue is the fact that PMDG does not make scenery. If you are the type of consumer who depends on PMDG to supply your options, then you need to heed their advice.

Country
portugal
I know they don't to scenery, they said it as an example. That's exactly why I wrote this thread, to have various opinions, and especially, from the people who are in the scenery field.
So, what's the difference in Resampling a scenery on SDK V4 tools?

I agree with Rick. It is not true . It is, I do not know exactly what their intention is, either a way to promote PDMG or to scare off their competitors?
As an example, I downloaded (only recently) a Gmax made Cessna C182RG and it is the best one I have in P3Dv4 (better than their default F16, the buggy F22 and F35's and the Mooneys and some more). But also the default FSX B738 and its various liveries is working perfectly.
I guess you have been watching this DailyX PMDG promotional thread?
As for scenery, the only thing that has changed and as far as I know and experience (compared to P3Dv2) is that the effects do not work in the same way and that the dynamic lighting does impact the frame rates but only sometimes and that you should not start your P3Dv4 from a saved flight as that would (only sometimes as well) lead to FPS that go down to 5 or 6. But not when you start afresh.
Besides that, it is only logical to compile your scenery with the v4 compiler and that does not make any difference at all!
In other words and if you are referring to this DailyX PMDG promotional article, I would qualify it as "male bovine excrement":).

Cheers,

PS: what was it again? PMDG or PDMG:D.

When I read that article on AVSIM, I did a binary comparison on a selection of default scenery libraries, and didn't find a single difference. Ok, I quit pretty soon, as it got boring seeing all those 'identical' results. If this was true, then our simulator is already hobbled, just imagine how much it would sing if everything was updated...

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Country
southafrica
I think it applies only to certain 3rd party sceneries built with old tools.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I think it applies only to certain 3rd party sceneries built with old tools.
I think you are being generous. It applies to people who do not learn things for themselves and allow a commercial developer to assume authority over something he does not develop. Case in point: this and by extension, all discussions that arose as a consequence of his statement. More energy has been consumed discussing the veracity of the statement than would be required to ultimately and decisively prove or disprove it.

I would observe that as a salesman, he'd hit a home run and prefer we allow the absurdity to expire, as all internet trends eventually do.

Country
portugal
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. To be honest I found that article weird too, firstly because as rk said, they don't do scenery, second, because I also tried comparing it with two sceneries, and I saw no difference...
Again, I thought I should ask the guys in the field, that's why I opened the thread, maybe
Basically, the only difference it makes resampling with V4 tools, is that the new effects will work...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have examined the changes in the new MDL format for P3D v4 and the differences are so small that I'm quite sure there is no performance influence from recompiling for P3D v4.

Country
us-ohio
I would ask Lockheed-Martin, only they know what happens inside their code when a non-compliant addon is introduced.

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Country
southafrica
I think you are being generous. It applies to people who do not learn things for themselves and allow a commercial developer to assume authority over something he does not develop. Case in point: this and by extension, all discussions that arose as a consequence of his statement. More energy has been consumed discussing the veracity of the statement than would be required to ultimately and decisively prove or disprove it.

I would observe that as a salesman, he'd hit a home run and prefer we allow the absurdity to expire, as all internet trends eventually do.

Maybe you are right. Virtuali's post that Doug linked does make a lot more sense