1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2004 Problem after compiling

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by Frenchy, 21/10/10.

1. Frenchy

Frenchy

france
    As my user name shows I'm french so if my English is not very good please excuse.
    I'm working on now for 2 years FSDS j ai model my model aircraft more fully virtual cockpit, but I am having a problem after compiling the model so I'll post four screen to see what it happens, I hope that some one m able to help because here in France very few people use FSDS.

in FSDS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    in Fs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the screenshots, as you can see in FSDS but after everything is perfect in FS2004 we can see the damage to parts and even parts of parts which appears transaparente.
    I like to know if someone has already had one such problem or so if someone knows why an AC did that.
    I am using version FSDS V3 and i also FSDS version 3.5 but with FSDS 3.5 J have another problem I don t have any log files at the end of the compilation so I can not fix the parts having a default.
    Regarding version FSDS V3 the problem it may come from the airplane that we chose to build the model as before to create the model as compilation is chosen which will appear in the file aicraft.cfg and after you check the box new aircraft, I ask this because J have already seen that sometimes choosing the model aircraft refused to be created, the log files indicating an error and it refused to compile, so that by choosing another model of aircraft in FS 2004 compilation was done very well.
    That day I try to explain my problem better now that I could of course hoping that you will come to understand me, knowing that my English is not very good.

Vincent
  2. Au-MaV

Au-MaV

australia
  3. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Au-MaV is correct. This is the FS9 compile, and you have alot of small buttons that have Vertices closer then 4MM.

Its a bug in the export system. The limit should have been on exterior models, but happens in the VC models instead of the exterior. (The exterior has no weld issues, so its indeed a bug/flaw/mistake).

To get around this, you can burn an X file of your plane via using MiddleMan and ModelCommander, then edit the world scale in your FSDS X file to be 16X bigger. Then compile with MakeMDL to produce the ASM file(s) (interior and exterior files, so three ASM files, with the 3rd being the primary ASM file), then edit the ASM file and drop that onto the new BGLC9.exe compiler and you will get a BGL file. Take that and rename to MDL format and drop it in FS9 and you should have PERFECT switches.

The tutorial Wozza is directing you to should do fine.

My tutorial for Gmax compiling is here; http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21143 but it works differently then FSDS X files...

Prop Trash does an excellent 'how to' in his post. I'll have to search for that.

You can also use LOD's to go past the 65,000 polycount limit also. You can now make MDL files over 12 megs in size, like what they do in FSX.....

Bill
    Last edited: 21/10/10
  4. Frenchy

Frenchy

france
    Ok I understand that should I compile my model in BGL compile and that once I take the HMO and the renowned. Mdl is that correct? But how do you rename the mdl to bgl given that the format is that it must change?
    Would there be a tutorial in order to be sure not to make a mistake.
    I do not know that ets Modelcommander what C is and where can I find it?
    How is it to change the global scale in FSDS.
    Wholesale Bill m everything you explain and solutions are possible til a tuoto because I do not want to make mistake.
    Today I tested compiling my VC with the external model has larger scale and the result is perfect but I reduced my plane it gives the same thing on my screens.
    I'm sorry to bother you with this but I really want this plane has the heart to finish and I hoped to get there because if I happened to be corrected bug when it will end.
    In all thank you for your assistance.

Vincent
    Last edited: 22/10/10
  5. Frenchy

Frenchy

france
    Hello

Bill I think the easiest solution for me is to enlarge my plane by 16
    cons but after what I did for him to normal size
  6. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Mav can explain how that is done as it is with FSDS.

With Gmax, you have the ASM file and edit its scale to be lower, like 2 or 3. Some planes might be different.

On mine, I expand it in the X file (re-enter its world scale) to a wopping 32X instead of 16X to ensure it will have 'zero' Vertices welded. I then reset world scale back to 1. I also have to reset the view distance, which can also be done in AFCAD in the tools section. It can reset your view point distance. Remember its in Meters.

For me, its nicer having the plane at 'same scale' in Gmax. I can measure parts easily and quickly without having to recalculate the 16 or 32X scale in them. What ever works best for you is all important.

You are going to be so happy when that thing compiles and all your switches are PERFECT!

Bill
  7. Frenchy

Frenchy

france
    Ok Bill

Have tested making as you'd tell me the model by recording in X.files but I can not find where is the ladder in the file c X.files is that I block in m posts you have give him well j including the manipulation was done but I'm lost in all his numbers, I have recorded my object x.files al scale at which I would put my plane in fs and also al scale 16 times larger and when I look there are clearly No differences but I happen not to find at what point I must modify the numbers could you give me an example then you like it.
  8. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Hey Vincent,

Here you go;

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20064

This thread from Alexis switches to Prop Trash helping out and explaining how the FSDS system works in exporting without deformation of small parts.

Later it turns to Gmax (by my going off topic on how to do this in Gmax compilations). Dont look at those parts. You need to read on the 'FSDS' section (first parts) of the posts. Go through that and then try it. It should explain perfectly how to reset the ASM file, what section in the X file to look for, (mine for Gmax is 'worldscale' but in FSDS, it is something else).

Lets hear how it goes.

Bill
  9. Frenchy

Frenchy

france
    Bill
    have already made attempts in trying to match what the world scale but with FSDS c is something like what you said but I do not know, I have tried very simply to see the difference in size between 2 file x.files j I create a cylinder and a 2 expotre in x.files Different scale very well and it appears the differences but I do not know what I need to change.
    The link that you have let I m quite understand but I do not see where it gives the solution to FSDS.
    Either I'm really stupid c is so obvious that I do not see.
    I feel really stupid
  10. Au-MaV

Au-MaV

australia
  11. Frenchy

Frenchy

france
    Hello

I actually went to see it is really easy to understand in J have followed the letter gives the step by Luka, the following:

1. Open your project finished in fsds3 (at first make backup of your fsc);

2. Menu Plugins-> ScaleProject.exe, set scale to 16;

3. Compile model. In fsds3 folder you Will Find asm files for x16 oversized model (_temp.asm, _temp_0.asm and_temp_1.asm). To save asm file for VC to rename _temp_0.asm _temp_vc.asm;

4. Open again your original fsc and compiles model in actual size. In fsds3 folder you have new asm files (_real, and _temp_0 _temp_1, and overscaled _temp_vc;

5. Open in notepad and edit _temp.asm Two lines close to end of file:

Replace
    SUPER_SCALE no_model, 0,0,6
    VINSTANCE_CALL model_inside, AIRCRAFT_PARAMS.llapbh.pbh
    With
    SUPER_SCALE no_model, 0,0,2

and
    include _temp_0.asm
    With
    _temp_vc.asm include;

6. Assembled Model With BGLC9 (command line: bglc_9 _temp.asm modelname.mdl), and move new mdl file Into Your aircraft / model folder.

but what I want to understand is at the stage 4 because until al step 3 while c is okay but after that it goes wrong Luka say to compile the model in full size, this size is what the real c that we wishes to have a final in fs?
    I compile my model, how? . Mdl,. Bgl?
    j I compile. bgl and save the 2 temp file there but nothing big difference being refference has these 2 lines:

Replace
    SUPER_SCALE no_model, 0,0,6
    With
    SUPER_SCALE no_model, 0,0,2

c is not this what I understand happens j not get the same thing here is that these lines are in the temp file or look in the bgl?

As stated in the Bill must be amended gmax WORLD SCALE apperemnt in FSDS but this is not such that it can be WORLD FRAME?
    is the only thing that appears in WORLD.

I leave you my 2 asm files of my model in attachment may be you get what I can not find
    Last edited: 25/10/10
  12. Frenchy

Frenchy

france
  13. PropTrash

PropTrash Guest

Hi Frenchy,

The files you uploaded are .x files – NOT .asm files. Big difference between the two! They also won’t compile, but forget about that and about editing .x files for now; it’s the .asm files you need to be concerned with.

Try this sequence of events and see if it works for you:

1. Set up a folder in a convenient place (I keep mine on the desktop) and paste the contents of the MakeMdl SDK into it.

2. You’ll also need “BGLC_9.exe” in the same folder, it’s available here if you don’t already have it:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59

3. Open your project in FSDS, and if you haven’t done so already, use the “ScaleProject.exe” plugin to scale your project by 16.

4. Starting with the main model, click on the file menu in the upper left, highlight “Export .x File” and left click.

5. In the “Save As” dialog, browse to the location of the folder you created in Steps 1 & 2. Open that folder and click “Save”, using your model name (“MyModel” or whatever), or a name convenient to you.

6. Move to the Virtual Cockpit model of your project (Shift+M) and repeat Step 5, exporting an .x file for your VC. Use the same name as you did for the main model (“MyModel”), but you MUST append “_interior” to it (“MyModel _interior”).

7. You should now have 2 .x files in the new folder created in Steps 1 & 2 (“MyModel" and “MyModel _interior”). They represent the exterior (Main) and interior (Aircraft Virtual Cockpit) models.

8. Drag one of your .x files over to MakeMdl.exe (I use the first, main model .x file, but either will work if the names are the same except for the “_interior” you tacked on to the VC file), and MakeMdl will start.

9. If you don’t have a MakeMdl.cfg file that sets compile options for you, you must open the MakeMdl “Options” tab and put a check in the “Keep Files” box. If "Keep Files" isn't checked, the .asm files won't show up. Also, for the first run, you should check on the LOD tab to see if your .x files are loaded. If they are, and “Keep Files” is checked, then click “Start”. MakeMdl will run, and when it reports “Done!”, then click “Exit”.

10. You should have 3 .asm files generated by the compile: MyModel, MyModel_0, and MyModel_1. You’re only interested in the main .asm file “MyModel”. You won’t do anything to “MyModel _0”, and “MyModel _1” when you reset the scale.

When you get the above 10 steps working, then post here with the results and I’ll walk you through resetting the scale.
    Last edited by a moderator: 25/10/10
  14. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Thanks PT for helping out Frenchie with this. I didnt know what to tell him. Gmax version is so different.

On a side note, I have to close out MakeMDL.exe when it produces the last 3 files, such as AZM and $$$ and the main ASM file. Otherwise, MakeMDL crashes with the 'file size to great (my model is huge) and it auto-deletes the ASM files. Closing it early prevents it from deleting those. So Frenchie, if MakeMDL deletes your ASM files, run it again and this time, when you see AZM and $$$ come up, click the X on MakeMDL and close it out. Delete the AZM and $$$ files when you can.

Bill
  15. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Frenchy,

Just bare in mind, that this 'does' work. Many people are exporting like this now. You just have to figure how it works, get all the details right.

Also, when you start editing the ASM file, that precision edits are a necessity. Make a mis-spelling, and it will not compile right.

Yesterday I had an issue (huge) with my export. For some reason, only part of it had exported. Turned out I had tapped two keys at once during typing, making a very slight glitch in the primary X file (I edit both X and ASM files on my exports), and it messed everything up. I later re-exported everything and it was fine, compiled beautifully through BGLC-9.exe...

Patience. Double check everything. At first, this seems like alot. Later, its just another process and you get very very fast at it.

Luckily you have PropTrash and Wozza to walk you through it. Two pro's in the FSDS side of this.

Bill
  16. PropTrash

PropTrash Guest

No problem Bill! Hopefully the language thing won’t be to bad, and he can understand what I’m saying and get ahead with it. My high-school French is but a distant memory….

And too bloody right about Gmax .x files being different! I really admire the way you stuck with it and made it work!

I’ve been getting mail about an FSDS tutorial regarding the extreme poly models, but I’ve been too busy with other things to even start on it, much less finish it. Been pointing guys to the topics here and at FSDS, but I don’t know how much help that will be - I imagine they’ve already read them. As you said, it’s kind of a difficult subject to grasp at first, then later when you’ve done it a few times you can see how simple it really is. I will get around to writing about it, but it’s a safe bet it won’t be soon.

I haven’t seen MakeMdl do that (knock wood). I did have one of those “initializer magnitude too large blah blah..” messages last month when I went over the limit on one model, and had to add another LOD, but that error is always fatal and you have no choice in the matter.

The “Bull” Stearman model is finished now, and it adds up to over 400,000 polygons without a shadow model. Just working on the other 1001 things that go along with it, when that’s done I can turn my attention to other things.

For a “temporary” experiment in complex models, it went way over the time I budgeted for it. I also found a curious thing started to happen; I’d pronounce it finished, then I’d look at the model in the game and see room for improvements and new detail, and then I’d find myself working on those, and then something else would occur to me and so on, and on and on…until I really had to call a halt for fear that it would become the “neverending” project. lol

Modeling like this is fun!:)
  17. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    What really sucks is that while they are different, it is the GMax .x files that are 100% FS SDK compliant. Louis is the one who decided to make his program's .x files be the oddballs... ;)

That, among a few other things, often makes it very difficult for Max/GMaxers to assist FSDSers and vice-versa...

...It's a similar phenomenon to "England and America being two nations separated by a common language." :D
  18. PropTrash

PropTrash Guest

Ain’t that the truth Bill! That sums it up perfectly.
  19. Frenchy

Frenchy

france
    Hello PropTrash

Sorry for not being here and thank you very much overcharged for all your help even though unfortunately I do not understand everything immediately.
    I've followed your explanation to the letter, I have expanded my good model X16 and made according to the steps in your post the result is simple loading in MAKEMDL j gets a good ASM file contains nothing but when compiling my model after press START it compiles but declared ERROR, I have yet any monitoring well and even called my files Xfiles as in your example.
    What is in the option Makemdl there must tick all those box?
    [​IMG]
    LOD and the tab is what the two files Xfiles should appear?
    Last edited: 27/10/10
  20. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Hey Frenchie,

On MakeMDL, you will need to click/unclick the following;
    Unclick Optimize
    Unclick Weld Points
    Click HasReflectiveTextures
    Click Ignore 1
    Click Ignore 2
    Click Ignore 3
    Unclick Crash

You want all three 'Ignores' on.

If this is the 'second' MakeMDL compile, then halt it before it stops. Halt it 'when' you see the $$$ and AZM appear. That way you do not get the crash.

If... you get the crash on the first export, then as PropTrash said, your model is too big to export and you will need a set of secondary LOD nodes to export (seperately) to overcome the export limit factor. If your model was already exporting though, (which it was) then that should not be the case, and your crash is happening on the second MakeMDL export, in which case, just cut it when it finally exports the final main ASM file and the $$$ and AZM files.

Bill