• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Problem detected when using Simple Airport Scanner

Country
denmark
I am not sure of where to place this question, so I thought I'd try here, since Simple Airport Scanner detected the problem.

I think an auto-installer screwed something up for me. When I run Simple Airport Scanner, I get the text shown in the attached file. The path shown is the one where I unpack zipped files to, and where I point auto-installers to so I can install their stuff where I want it in my installation.

I have tried to run Flight One's FSX registry reset tool, that didn't fix the issue.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this? Every bit of help is appreciated - I don' want to face (another) reinstallation....

Thanks -

Jorgen

Attachments

• error.txt
    11.9 KB · Views: 477

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
How about a screenshot of the application main window? It seems to me that you haven't set a valid path to the FSX active scenery.cfg

Country
denmark
Here you go.....

The thing is, in the scenery.cfg file refernced here, everything looks normal. This changed after I ran an autoinstaller to install some Chilean scenery to C:\Dnload\FSX\Work1 earlier today, before that everything worked normally.

Jorgen

Attachments

• Scanner.jpg
    Scanner.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 418

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I can't actually read the path in the scenery.cfg. If it is correct then the other problem would be where FSX is installed or where the registry for FSX points. If you ran an autoinstaller then is there a risk that could change the registry path? It shouldn't but.... From your error.txt file it looks like SAS thinks that the path to FSX is C:\Dnload\FSX\Work1\ and it would look in the registry for that.

Country
denmark
This is the path from SAS:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.CFG

It's been like that forever. FSX is installed in F:\1FSX.

Just for fun, here's the scenery.cfg file in question. I had to append .txt to the file name to get it to upload.

Jorgen

Attachments

• scenery.cfg.txt
    70.5 KB · Views: 551
Country
denmark
I also have GEX in my FSX installation, and last night used the GEX interface to see if there were any updates. The interface said it could not find FSX (apparently in the registry, like SAS), but then asked me to point it to the main FSX folder. After I did that, it remembered where FSX was and ran normally when I tried it the next time. Maybe something like that could be built into SAS?

Thanks -

Jorgen

Country
denmark
This morning I ran another autoinstaller, and it pointed itself to C:\Dnload\FSX\Work1 automatically.

So it appears the first autoinstaller changed a registry setting somehow, and Flight One's FSX Registry Reset tool does not fix that.

Does anyone know if this is something one could repair "manually" (and no, I haven't even tried to do that) or repair in some other way, maybe with Ccleaner's registry cleaning tool?

Thanks -

Jorgen

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Try the resgistry tool from tweakfs.com - it seems they are down for maintenance at the moment but they do have a free registry fix tool.

Country
denmark
I found the registry tool there, thank you.

It finds the Setup path for FSX at HKEY_LOCAL)MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0, and the App path at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0, and in both cases the path was F:\1FSX - as it should be.

Where does SAS look for the path?

Thanks -

Jorgen

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
SAS is looking in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

For FSX it looks first for:

"Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0"

then if it can't find that it looks for:

"Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator\10.0"

In both cases it checks the value in "SetupPath"

It also goes on to check for FSX Steam Edition if neither of those are found:

"Software\Wow6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX" and in this case looks for "install_path"

Country
denmark
Bingo! Culprit found.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 the value in SetupPath was set to C:\Dnload\FSX\Work1.

The 2 other paths were not found.

Now, just asking before I do anything stupid,, but changing that value to F:\1FSX SHOULD solve my issue, right? And, of course only doing this after backing up the registry.

I understand the implications of changing that value, and declare herewith that I assume full responsibility of the consequences of changing said value.

Thanks -

Jorgen

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You are correct that it should solve the issue. Also it should be quite safe to change it to the proper path. It seems that the installer you used is messing with the registry and changing an important key. The only issue might be whether changing it to the proper path will affect whatever you installed with the rogue installer.

Country
denmark
Issue solved. Yep, changing that value took care of it.

And what I installed was not affected. When I install scenery, I unpack stuff or run the installers, pointing them to folders on my C: drive. Then I manually move the sceneries to where they should be on my E: or F: drives and then activate them in Scenery Configuration Editor.

Thanks a lot for your help -

Jorgen

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You are welcome I am pleased it is fixed