• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Problem in alignment a modified runway heading with S Builder image

Country
egypt
Hello Freinds,

Facing a big problem in my new project, hope i can get help.

I made a BMP image using Sbuilder X as usual to be used as photo scenery base, and i compiled it and get a bgl file, and test it later in FSX with no problems.

i Made jpg photo from the S builder image and place it in the ADE using the image coordenates, and the runway was alligned well the runway heading in photo scenery.

Problem begin when i start the afacad work in ADE, i modified the heading of the runway based on the latest charts of the airport, which make the modified runway a littel move far from the heading of the photo scenery runway.

so i had to edit / move the image in ADE to make it fir with the new heading of the runway.

But when i compiled the airport, AND TEST IT IN fsx, i found out that the new heading of the runway do not match the old one in photo scenry, please have a look:

fsx alignment runway problem 2.jpg

Could any one please advise how to fix this problem..

Thank you

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

If you post what the ICAO is for the airport, that will make it easier for someone here to determine the nature of the problem, and perhaps offer some advisement on what to do to achieve a proper alignment. :scratchch

GaryGB

Country
unitedstates
i Made jpg photo from the S builder image and place it in the ADE using the image coordenates, and the runway was alligned well the runway heading in photo scenery.

Problem begin when i start the afacad work in ADE, i modified the heading of the runway based on the latest charts of the airport, which make the modified runway a littel move far from the heading of the photo scenery runway.

The charts are most likely giving you magnetic headings while ADE uses true headings. This could account for the heading difference.

so i had to edit / move the image in ADE to make it fir with the new heading of the runway.

That will not change the photo scenery. It will still show the original heading.

The standard procedure is to match the ADE runway with the photo runway, not the other way around.

cheers,
Lane

Country
egypt
Hello Lane,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I agree with you that the heading difference is due to the difference between the true and magnetic heading.

The point now is: how to match the new - magnetic - ADE runway heading with the photo scenery true runway heading?

Thank you

Haitham

I took a Sat photo of the airport and added it as a background image to ADE

ADE and many Sat utilities open facing north so in most cases no tweaking of the headings are required. The True runway heading in ADE is 142.940002 and the true runway heading I measured in Google was also 142.94.

I can now redraw the taxiways and add all the additional aprons.

fsscr012.jpg

Country
egypt
Thanks Jvile,

But as of the new chart of the airport the runway heading is 139 / 319, which should modified in ADE, PLEASE CORRECT to me this information.

After i modified the runway heading in ADE, the New heading ( 319 ) not match with the SAT runway heading as explained above.

GHD

Country
england
If you are going to use photo-textures, it is no use using an ADE background. You need to use ADE connected to FSX with the textures installed.

If you use a transparent runway in ADE, you will see that the runway has the correct heading, but it is displaced slightly south:

Country
unitedstates
Thanks Jvile,

But as of the new chart of the airport the runway heading is 139 / 319, which should modified in ADE, PLEASE CORRECT to me this information.

After i modified the runway heading in ADE, the New heading ( 319 ) not match with the SAT runway heading as explained above.
The new magnetic heading is 139/319, the true heading has not changed unless someone dug up the runway and moved it.

ADE uses true heading, not magnetic heading.

There is no way in ADE to change the magnetic heading of a runway.

cheers,
Lane

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom

That is correct ADE deals with the physical runway. However you can change the runway numbering if you wish to match the new mag headings.

Country
egypt
The new magnetic heading is 139/319, the true heading has not changed unless someone dug up the runway and moved it.

ADE uses true heading, not magnetic heading.

cheers,
Lane

Yes Lane,

I understand your comment well, thank you.

But i am so sorry i am still confused.

Should i modify the runway heading - as mentioned in charts - from 322 to 319 in ADE or not?

If yes, when i compile my ADE afacad file and export it to FSX I find out that the new runway heading dosn,t match the SAT runway!

what can i do?

Thanks a lot.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
DO NOT change the runway in ADE to match the magnetic heading. Runways are fixed in the ground and have a true heading - you can't move them in real life and that is what you are suggesting that the airport authorities dig it up and move it a bit. Runway positions and headings never change. Magnetic variation does change over time and that is what the chart reflects. Every so often airports re-number the runways to reflect mag heading - yes runway numbers are based on magnetic heading. FS provides a file for magnetic headings and this was fixed to 2006 when FSX was created. So most mag headings at airports are now wrong. I believe it is possible to change that file but I would not know how and it is not done with ADE.

There are updated magdec.bgl's on various web sites that update the magnetic variations in FSX but use at your own risk. They have been known to cause problems.

Country
argentina
Hi guys!!!

Sorry to bring back this topic. I'm trying to modify an airport that i've created some time ago in FSX to work in P3DV3. And my problem is exactly the same as the original poster had. What would you reccomend me to do? This particular airport change heading from 181° to 189°.
Excuse my not perfect english. I hope you understand!!
Cheers and thanks in advance!!