• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Problem with FSX Airport Data

Country
us-arizona
I am creating a flight planner and I am using the data from the bgl files from FSX.

When I convert them to deg, min, sec the flight plan .pln file I make for FSX is failing. It is because the location information is incorrect for the Airports, VOR's, etc.

Any help on what I should us in the BGL files to make sure this works???

Thank you much for anyones help!!!

Sincerely,

WXMAN

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am creating a flight planner and I am using the data from the bgl files from FSX.

When I convert them to deg, min, sec the flight plan .pln file I make for FSX is failing. It is because the location information is incorrect for the Airports, VOR's, etc.

Any help on what I should us in the BGL files to make sure this works???

Thank you much for anyones help!!!

Sincerely,

WXMAN

Are you extracting the data yourself or using another program to extract it?

Country
us-arizona
I extracted it using the BGL2XML program and imported the data into a SQL database.

But I only used the Airport element of the xml. I noticed a <Start> element, should I have used that?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I extracted it using the BGL2XML program and imported the data into a SQL database.

But I only used the Airport element of the xml. I noticed a <Start> element, should I have used that?

Depends on what you are trying to do but Starts are usually placed at each end of a runway. I assume that the extracted co-ordinate data is in decimal format with a point decimal separator? As far as I know nothing in FS can handle a comma separator so make sure you are not creating any when you convert the decimal coordinate. Also do you need to make that conversion?

Country
us-arizona
Let me show you what I am doing, because I could totally have this wrong.

Example: KSEA

lat

long

This is how I was told how to figure this out for the .pln file.

Deg = N47
Min = (.4489999935031 * 60) = 26'
Sec = (.9399999.... * 60) = 56.40"

Am I doing this right? Now mind you this is the Airport Lat/Lont and not the runways or start.

What Lat/Lont does the .pln use?

Thank you for your help.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You calculation for lat/lon appears correct - I do not know about the format of pln files - maybe someone else does. Have you tried using the decimal values in the pln file?

Country
us-arizona
I have and it seems that it has to be unique.

Thank you for you help though.

I've done the same thing and not had a problem with it - the plan format I use (FS2004 but works with FSX no problem) is:

Code:
[flightplan]
AppVersion=9.0.30612
title=My Flight Plan
description=KLAL, KGIF
Type = IFR
routetype = 0
cruising_altitude = 10000
departure_id=KLAL, N27 59.33499, W082 1.11333, 141.9948
destination_id=KGIF, N28 3.77500, W081 45.19834, 145.0131
destination_name= KGIF
departure_name = KLAL
waypoint.0=, KLAL, , KLAL, A, N27 59.33499, W082 1.11333, 141.9948, 
waypoint.1=, KGIF, , KGIF, A, N28 3.77500, W081 45.19834, 145.0131, 
gpsWaypoints = 2

Using the above format seems to work ok, the last item in the waypoint arrays is the altitude.