• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Problems Auto-Updating AIFP2

GHD

Country
england
Hi Don,

Just to let you know that the automatic download didn't work again, I needed to use the link above.

Country
unitedstates
I've also never been able to get the automatic download to install correctly. The update downloads, but then everything stalls when it tries to install the update. I've been grabbing the zip file and just overwriting all the previous files.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Bruce, if the update was detected and downloaded (after you confirmimg it should be), then everything is working.

The update is not self installing. You must exit the program and then, as you apparently have been doing, unzip the update over the previous version.

Don

GHD

Country
england
In my case the file downloaded wouldn't open with either WinZip or WinRAR.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
George, I just checked the file on the server and it seems OK. Perhaps just a "bad connection"?

Don

GHD

Country
england
George, I just checked the file on the server and it seems OK. Perhaps just a "bad connection"?

Don

I have no idea, the auto download does download a file but it is unreadable. The file downloaded with your link is fine.

So, if the file is ok on the server, perhaps there is a problem with the AIFP2 download code.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Just checked that as well and the update was detected, downloaded on my confirmation and opened just fine.

Not saying there isn't a problem. But, If there is, it doesn't affect my system.

There's one other fellow in Spain who has reported a similar problem for several months now. But, you are only the second. (It's not clear that Bruce (last night) is having the same problem.) I wonder if there is something peculiar about certain European (please forgive me for including UK in Europe ;) ) ISPs.

Please send me the file you downloaded that was corrupted.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
George, I can open the archive you sent me but most of the files were missing. WinRAR reports "unexpected end of archive.

The archive on the server includes all the files. That archive was compiled with WinRAR (as a zip). If the problem were with WinRAR, I'd expect it would be more widely publicized.

This is the same technique I've been using since Day1 with both AIFP and FenceBuilder Pro - using standard NET/Framwork web interface commands. That's 10s of thousands of downloads. And only two people affected. That said, however, it seems a consistent problem with those two people.

I wonder if it's something in your firewall/internet security that's doing this. Would you mind reverting to an earlier version of AIFP and disabling your firewall long enough to let the update auto-detect do its thing, please?

Don

GHD

Country
england
For some reason half of my posts have gone AWOL :confused:

George, I can open the archive you sent me but most of the files were missing. WinRAR reports "unexpected end of archive.

The archive on the server includes all the files. That archive was compiled with WinRAR (as a zip). If the problem were with WinRAR, I'd expect it would be more widely publicized.

This is the same technique I've been using since Day1 with both AIFP and FenceBuilder Pro - using standard NET/Framwork web interface commands. That's 10s of thousands of downloads. And only two people affected. That said, however, it seems a consistent problem with those two people.

I wonder if it's something in your firewall/internet security that's doing this. Would you mind reverting to an earlier version of AIFP and disabling your firewall long enough to let the update auto-detect do its thing, please?

Don

I've tried it from 2.1.0.4 on my W7 machine and it worked fine. Both machines use the same router and there is no firewall active.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
For some reason half of my posts have gone AWOL
I just moved them to a separate thread with a more informative title http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22203. But, of course, moving after I last posted, you'd have no way of knowing. (A senior moment.)

I'll move this post there too, so please reply in that thread.

I've tried it from 2.1.0.4 on my W7 machine and it worked fine. Both machines use the same router and there is no firewall active.
Not sure what you are telling me here.

Don

GHD

Country
england
I am saying that I have two systems, one running XP 32bit and the other running W7 64bit. Both are connected to the net via the same router. The AIFP2 auto download works on the W7 machine but fails on the XP machine.

I have had no problems with the SAMM autodownload on the XP machine.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
That's what I thought. So, are you suggesting an XP incompatibility? Lots of XP users still out there who haven't reported similar problems.

Since you can download directly on both, it wouldn't seem to be an archive problem. More likely it's related to the auto-download code itself. Do you have NET/Framework 3.5 on both machines?

Don

Country
us-newyork
Me too, on an old xp machine

I have the same observation on a 32 bit xp, amd 3800 x2. The automatically downloaded file is not readable or expandable, but the filed downloaded from the first link seems to be fine.

I use CA associates antivirus suite and have come to blame it on most of my unique problems (less painful than blaming them on the real problem--ME!!!)

The program just gets better and better.

Thanks so much, Don

Gary

GHD

Country
england
Do you have NET/Framework 3.5 on both machines?

Don

On XP I have Net Framework versions:

2 SP2
3.5 SP1
4 Client Profile
4 Extended

On W7 I have only 4 Client Profile, but I understand it includes 3.5.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
You're welcome, Gary. I was going to ask you the same question Iasked george, but I see he's answered it.

I haven't any idea where to look next. Anybody out there got one?

Don

Edit: Pushed the send button too soon. Since it appears to be an "XP thing" and only seems to have started since I moved AIFP to NET Framework 3.5, perhaps there's an incompatibility between 3.5 and XP.

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Don, maybe I can add something to this.
What I've noticed that once you choose to download the update, there is nothing visual showing the progress of the download.

In the past I too have had the message that a new version was available, chose to download and then (for some reason or another) I closed AIFP before the download completed (could not see visually that it was still active).
The downloaded file was then corrupt (download stopped in the middle of transfer) but after restarting AIFP and letting it download again, waiting until the message arrive that the download had completed and then quit and unzipped, then all was fine.

I am not a programmer, so I don't know if I ask for something major, but it is just a suggestion to provide some visual way of showing the progress of the download. That would be great.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If the download takes more than about half a second once the download request is issued, you will see a "downloading" message. This time does not include the "negotiation" with the web (for reasons I won't even try to explain).

Of course, if the user shuts down the application, the process is unlikely to complete.

Don