1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Propeller Blurred in FSDS

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by kjevans, 22/9/07.

1. kjevans

kjevans

spain
    Hi,
    I am modelling with fsds3.5 and am at the stage of trying to get the turbine fan to work correctly.
    I have gone through the fsds tutorial and managed to get the still and slow bit done but have got totally lost when it comes to the blurring.

I created the disc made sure the polys all faced forward, as the back of the turbine is not visible, followed all the points up to the piece about texturing.

I thought I had it, I made a bmp 512x512 px saved it, opened it with dxtbmp, done the usual thing to load the alpha into psp then saved it as dxt3 format but when the aircraft is loaded in fs9 there is no turbine visible with the engine running, it does appear when cutting the engine showing the slow and then still parts. It is obviously something wrong with the way I have made the texture.

Any pointers would be welcome.

Many thanks

Kirk
  2. Bambi_007

Bambi_007

germany
    Hello Kirk,

what is the name of the turbine in GMax?

You named them Turbine_0 or Turbine_1 or Engine_0 and Engine_1?

What is it for a model that you build. 2 Engines or 3 or 4 Engines?
  3. kjevans

kjevans

spain
    OK, here goes I will try to explain it in words as best I can.
    First off I use FSDS.
    The model I am making is the Avrocar.
    It has three jet engines.
    The problem I am having is with the VTOL engine.
    I have a fan assembly in the horizontal plane, obviously 90 degrees different to a normal prop.
    I make the fan assm prop_still.
    I copy and paste the fan assm and call the copy prop_slow.
    I then make a disc the same diameter as the fan and place it slightly above the fan with the polys facing front and call this part prop_blurred.
    Then I make a texture and place this on the prop_blurred part.
    All this goes fine and all according to the tutorial.

When I load the aircraft in fs9 with the engine off all is fine, I start the engine and the prop_slow kicks in as it should but when the engine spedds up and the prop_blurred kicks in the disc rotate about the wrong axis.

Lets say the y axis is at 90 deg from horizontal, well my fan spins like it should about the y axis but the blurred disc spins on a plane at 90 deg to the y axis even though within FSDS the placement of the disc is correct.

It's really hard to explain this in words, hope it is clear enough for you.

An option I did think about doing was to make another copy and paste of my fan and call that prop_blurred and see if that works.

Thanks

Kirk :)
  4. Bambi_007

Bambi_007

germany
    Okay,

you must have two fan - one still and the another blurred.

one prop ist still and one is blurred.

now you link one fan to one prop - named them prop_still
    and the another fan link to the other and named them prop_blurred
    of course you will need a third and named them prop_slow

And at last all props and the linked fan you must set them on one axis.

Hm, it is not so easy for me in english.

Picture One with Engine Off
    [​IMG]

Picture Two with Engine On (the blurre you can see )
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: 23/9/07
  5. kjevans

kjevans

spain
    Thank you very much, I think I came to the same conclusion of just copying the fan again, calling it prop_blurred and adding a transparent texture to it.

Sorry to bother you but how do I make a transparent texture for the blurred fan.

The usual way for me in FSDS is to make a texture template that I then open in PSP and then colour it.

Do I need to make the texture have an alpha channel?

Do I need to tick the 'has transparent texture' in the part properties box?

My fan look similar to the prop in your images with a centre spinner which with the texture template I can colour the same as the prop_slow etc.. but how do I make the disc part transparent and just have the yellow line on the outside?

Once again sorry for all these questions.

I know the language thing might be a problem but all the info you are giving me I am able to understand no problem at all.

Kirk..,
  6. kjevans

kjevans

spain
    Ah ha, I think I have got it now.
    I made another copy of the fan, called it prop_blurred and gave it a different texture.

It works although it looks like it is stopped.

You see, my fan has 24 blades so I think what I need to do is alter this part by adding a flat dics to it in place of the blades and then try to figure out a way in PSP to colour the disc to make it look like it is moving and only give it a small amount of transparency.

I will play around with it a bit and post the results maybe with some images.

Kirk