• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Question about Photo Shop

Hi,

I hope I posted this in the correct thread. Many people use photo shop as their photo editing tool when exporting bitmaps from SbuilderX. I've been thinking about getting the photo shop but all I see is where you pay a subscription and includes the cloud service, and I don't care for that. I figured one could purchase the photo shop for around $100.00 and be done with it instead of paying a subscription price which will keep you in their wallet for the rest of your days, rather you use it that much or not, and I don't like it. And you wonder if there are any other hidden charges that they may not make clear. I've read where they once sold the product for one price and it was something like $700.00. Why so expensive!? That is outrageous!! I can understand maybe $100.00 or less. But is it possible to purchase photo shop somewhere, and at a reasonable price? I hear that Gimp is a free software that's comparably close to Photo shop but I just don't like Gimp because it takes too long to load and it's not that user friendly because you have to open too many menus and to find what you want. And on top of that, most tutorials are based on using photo shop and it's a waste of my time trying to get around in Gimp searching for what I need.

Ken.

Last edited:
Back in my day there was PhotoShop, and then there were cheaper tools for the rest of us. I ran a digital print store, and we used PhotoShop on a Mac, but I much preferred the Windows PC, so we purchased Micrografx Picture Publisher. The difference wasn't that great early on, but it wasn't that long before PhotoShop pulled ahead, for me the main step forward was a non-Mac version... These days there are still plenty of cheap/free choices, but most don't come near the feature-set of PhotoShop.
PhotoShop these days is the perfect tool for me, and I've never really found the subscription expensive. I'm aware that a lot of people don't like the subscription model, but I've got used to it. It costs me NZ$16 a month for Photoshop+Lightroom, foregoing the clouds storage which gets a bit expensive. I actually pay NZ$18 per month for EACH of the two Prepar3d developer licences I use, so Photoshop seems a bargain.
You are right in that most tutorials are based on it, but there are a lot of Gimp tutorials if you search hard.
However, I do find the 3D Studio Max subscription too expensive at NZ$286 a month, in that for five months of the year I would struggle to pay for it.
Having said all that, if you ONLY use PhotoShop for SbuilderX bitmaps, then Gimp makes a lot more sense.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
For $100 you would never have bought Photoshop, ever; even secondhand examples went for much more money. There are alternatives, including Gimp, Paint.NET, so unless you absolutely have to have PS I’d recommend getting to grips with one of these. I use PS, but bought a permanent license secondhand some years ago (at a price...) and use it for lots more than image conversion. It’s a huge package and by no means easy to learn. Paint.NET was quicker to load and simpler to use when I used to use that.

Can you buy the Cloud subscription, let it lapse when you don’t need it and pay when you do? Might be worth investigating if only PS will do.

The decision is yours!

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I guess the first question is what kind of work you want to do on the images. Based on that you can decide which tool is best.

I have switched to Gimp myself because it's free and it can do what I want. But I know I'm not the typical developer, since I mainly make tools.

I guess the first question is what kind of work you want to do on the images. Based on that you can decide which tool is best.

I have switched to Gimp myself because it's free and it can do what I want. But I know I'm not the typical developer, since I mainly make tools.

Well, I want to get into the developer part of it. I have another one called IrfanView but I don't think it has all the features I need as Ps. I recently updated my Gimp to version 2.8 and ever since, it takes at least 30 seconds, if not more, to load and get the message that it's "looking for data file fonts, this may take a while." Prior to this update, I never had to wait that long. Before the update when I click on the program, it opened immediately. I haven't found anywhere in Gimp that allows me to do alphas and some of things explained in these tutorials, and I'm just tired of wasting my time with it. Since many tutorials use Ps in their tutorials and if the person doing the tutorial explains how to do something in detail, it makes it a lot easier to follow along, I've found many of these scenery tutorial videos that are very lacking in their teaching abilities.

Ken.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
What is the complete version of Gimp that you Have? Version 2.8.x What? Where did you get this version? What link did you use? GIMP does have access to the alpha channel... Have you uninstalled GIMP and then tried to reinstall?

Adobe Photoshop also has an Element version which is less... It does have access to the alpha channel but not by normal means as the CC version or the full version.

What is the complete version of Gimp that you Have? Version 2.8.x What?
The version is 2.8.22

Where did you get this version?
From their official website.

GIMP does have access to the alpha channel...
I thought so, but where is it?

Have you uninstalled GIMP and then tried to reinstall?
Not yet, but I was thinking about doing that.

Adobe Photoshop also has an Element version which is less... It does have access to the alpha channel but not by normal means as the CC version or the full version.
What is meant by the CC?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
The Creative Cloud (or CC) is the Cloud version that was mentioned in others as well as your's comments,...

To access the GIMP alpha channel or create one within a texture or image, can be done by simply adding a layer to image,... or through the Layer Menu,... which appears as such (see images)... I would suggest uninstalling GIMP and reinstalling it first before anything else.

Attachments

Last edited: