• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

railroads, trains and AIBTC

Hi,

I do not tire of trying to find some new things to do in FSX, I cannot help it.
I was, just out of curiosity and trying to get my own experiences conveyed to an FS friend on KDLS, looking at how I could liven up the (magnificent) scenery around Dallesport (OR or WA?).
And, behold, there is a railroad at both sides of the Columbia river.
Now, why not try and have a train on this railroad?
Just a matter of making a sketchup model, exporting it as a dae file, open it with MCX and make it into an mdl. Add this mdl to a new simobjects vehicle folder, adapt a vehicle sim.cfg and add an airfile and the texture and you have your scenery model.
Only thing that remains to be done is to use AIBTC and make a traffic file for the train.
So far everything OK.
But I also know that the reference point of the train.mdl is also its pivoting point and as that railroad in the Columbia river gorge happens to be full of curves, it is not good idea to have a mdl that is too long because that would lead to front and back not following the rails any longer.
I then thought, what if I split up this train in several parts?
I did and made several entries in the simobject\groundvehicles for each part of the train and applied the same route to them with the same plan.
And, and here comes the crux of the problem (at least for the moment), the different simobjects act like one.
Here is a screenshot to show what I mean: these are two models, two simobject entries, but with the same route, theire reference points placed in such a way that they touch eachother, the first one from the back, the second one from the front.
I still have to work on this somewhat further but wanted to let you know this funny behaviior of the train and hoping that someone has already been along that (rail)road and knows what the problem is.
I do also know (from searching the forums) that some others have tried to do this with Gmax and animate the train to follow a path but I think that in this case it is not a viable option.
Hence my request: let your ideas run wild and see what we can come up with.

Roby

PS (I am good at PSses): do not mind the textures of the train, I still have to work on that but I first wanted to know if it would work.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Roby <...me again :D >:

This looks very promising and exciting ! :p

Perhaps these threads might be some you haven't seen already ?

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19733&highlight="sound+effect"

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22797

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?26982-Trains-in-FSX

IIRC, Oliver Pabst mentioned < in an older forum thread that I can't find at the moment > ...when working on the animated train cars at LOWI used in Aerosoft's "Approaching Innsbruck" FS9 and FSX package versions, the 'pivot point' of the train cars needed to be at the rear of the object, not the center or front, so they could properly maintain relative positions while moving behind their neighboring cars.

http://www.youtube.com/v/OyxW46DPk2E&hl

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

Read those threads except for the simouthouse one.
But thanks for the hints, will revrt when I have further investigated this thing.
It looks promising were it not for the fact that both simobjects (in my screenshot) appear to act as one and that is what is astonishing.

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
What's your problem here? You're trying to create an AI train by having each car as a separate AI object following essentially the same route, but they are sticking together and acting as if the train had a straight rod or something through it?

Have you tried checking the traffic explorer or traffic map SDK tool? Is each train car showing separately?

Anyways, this sounds interesting. I'll definitely follow this topic. :D

Hi,

Forget about it. My reasoning is completely stupid.
The idea was indeed to have each part of the train as a seperate object, whereby their reference points were placed in such a way that they showed up the one behind the other.
But what I forgot is obviously that each of those reference points in that case reaches the waypoint at the same time and thus will turn at the same time. Hence my thinking they acted as one object.
As with AIBTC you have only two variables parameters (time and waypoints), that would leave only time offset to play with and that is hardly possible to achieve.
However, there is one more thing that could influence their behavior and that is the .air file and I do not think that that is going to give me the solution either.:whiteflag.

Hi,
I kept being intrigued and hate to admit defeat as well.
So I played a bit with the timing and it appears to work becuse you can set the time difference in the AIBTC plans to one second. And then you have to experiment with the right place of the reference points of the objects.
A pita is the fact that upon decompiling an AIBTC traffic file, the decompiled plans show a 1 sec difference with what was initually introduced.
I still have to experiment somewhat further, but that will be for tomorrow.

Hi,

My approach is a dead end.
Oh sure, you can make nice trains with GSU, convert them to mdl's with MCX and make a traffic file with AIBTC and everything is fine as long as the railroad is straight.
But the bends give problems and keep giving problems.
I tried (amongst other things) with different mdl's, the first one the loc, the second one the coach, etc. but because of the nodes in the railroad system, the offset of the reference points of the objects and the deceleration and acceleration before and after reaching one of these nodes, the various parts of the train act like a harmonica and do not stay together.
So I guess I will have to stick to a deadstraight railroad and try to cover up bends inside a tunnel or something. But I have not found a way to make a tunnel with a landclass roof on top either.

Country
unitedstates
Hi,

My approach is a dead end.
Oh sure, you can make nice trains with GSU, convert them to mdl's with MCX and make a traffic file with AIBTC and everything is fine as long as the railroad is straight.
But the bends give problems and keep giving problems.
I tried (amongst other things) with different mdl's, the first one the loc, the second one the coach, etc. but because of the nodes in the railroad system, the offset of the reference points of the objects and the deceleration and acceleration before and after reaching one of these nodes, the various parts of the train act like a harmonica and do not stay together.
So I guess I will have to stick to a deadstraight railroad and try to cover up bends inside a tunnel or something. But I have not found a way to make a tunnel with a landclass roof on top either.

PM me your email, and I can send you an FSX Freeware Scenery that has a train going around a curve.

Dave