1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading Bgl files

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by VADS, 8/1/07.

1. VADS

VADS

southafrica
    I'm Curious as to how data is accessed from within a bgl file,
    as i'm planning to TRY develop an afcad like tool yet with functionality to
    support developing scenery as well as manage air, sea and land traffic

how is data accessed from a bgl does a .Dll have to be written to decompile the file and recompile it?

i also need help / info from those in know of the gmax/ 3d max programming language - to enable direct placement of objects created under gmax bypassing the need to edit an xml file then compile it

also i'm keen in trying to fiqure out the Google Kml language where i plan to add the function of being able to import the kml data (lat / lon data etc)

Gareth - Vads
    Virtual Aerospace Design South Africa
  2. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    There is a program in development called BGLAnalyzeX that converts BGL files to XML files.
  3. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    BglAnayzeX will do it for FSX, NewBglAnalyze or BglXml for FS9. My own SDE will decompile either Fs9 or FSX Bgl files. To be honset while it would be possible to re-construct a Bgl file directly if you make changes to it I do not recommend it. The best way, in my opinion, is to generate new XML and pass that though the Schema and BGLComp. That way any errors will get trapped. Also in my experience there are parts of the bgl file structure which does not relate well to the real world representation as seen in the XML so while possible it seems rather a bad way to do it.

If you want a library dll to do the work for you then you might want to look at my scenery design engine (SDE). The currently available build does not generate a complete representation for all types of scenery elements but the next one will. It has a test app, but if you use dotNet 2 then you could use the dll and I plan to make it available for developers.

Also there are several people working on AFCAD type tools right now including myself :D

I can't comment on GMax and bypassing any xml - I am not sure why one would do that, but then I don't know much about it
  4. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    Anyone know when a new release of the 'BglAnayzeX' program will be?
  5. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I'm not sure what you mean - Windfried has posted the latest version he has on AVSIM as far as I know
  6. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania

Thanks, found it.