• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Realistic Runway

Country
unitedstates
Well, they have made a texture from a satellite photo and mapped that texture to a custom ground polygon made in a program like GMax. Search YouTube for "Ground Polygon" and you will probably come up with some things.

I fumble with GMax too much and have instead opted for a realistic, but non-photo approach.

I turned off all markings and lights from the runway making it somewhat invisible (you still see the tarmac) and hide it to get it out of the way.
Base Sat Overview.JPG

Then I covered it up with an apron made of the material I wanted the runway to be for a hard surface. Notice the runway is asphalt mainly with a patch of concrete running down the middle. You cannot overlap aprons without issues, so I had to "make a hole" where the concrete apron will be placed.
Added Apron.JPG

I hid the tarmac once I had it how I wanted, then traced all the markings with a GP Polygon (the purple blob with a G on it)
Added Ground Poly Marking.JPG

When you double click the last point on a custom Ground Poly, it will ask you what texture you want. I'm using the standard gp_White_20F/gp_Yellow_20F/gp_Red_20F for the main texture and all my markings have a black border around them, so I've found a .5ft border with the gp_LineBase texture to be a good fit for what it looks like.
Ground Poly Properties.JPG

The biggest downside is that with the GP object, you don't get scuff marks and wear and tear. It looks like the runway was just made, so you'll have to make a texture for the wear marks, get it added to the ADE texture list for the Ground polys and then apply the texture to a rectangular GP that will lay on top of the rest of the items. In that texture, you'll need the background to be transparent with the marks only. Haven't gotten that far with the runway yet, but it looks better than the default runway.

I'm also using AFLT to create the 3D lights for the touchdown zone, displaced threshold, approach lighting and runway edge and centerline lights. That is a bit more than I can go into for making the light library in AFLT that you'll use, but performance with default airport is about 80FPS on my design computer and down to 40fps with the AFLT lights (300-500 taxiway lights and the runway is about half done), so performance suffers a bit with the AFLT lights, but the hit worth it for me. Taxiing around with the floating orbs just doesn't do it for me anymore.

So here is the current result in FSX...the redline running down the center of the runway was just for placement of the centerline lights to keep them straight. I will delete that line once placement of the lights is complete.
Runway Result.JPG

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Nope, just off the cuff figured out what tools I had and how to do it...the only tutorial for my method is what I posted above...

By the way, I highlighted the buttons on the bar above the editor window to show which button brings up the tool or interface I'm referencing in the step to try to avoid confusion with where to go in ADE to make an Apron or the blob with the G to make a Ground Polygon.

Country
unitedstates
I working on a series of video tutorials. The problem is that there are several programs and tools that are used to get the desired outputs for ADE and getting them all working together is a process. I'm trying to get that process described, but I'm also very peculiar about the video and some small issues that arise during recording will cause me to have to delete the video and reset, which means uninstalling all programs and starting from scratch. Once I get the video done, I'll report back.

Country
unitedstates
I've redone it 100 times now and unhappy with some aspects, but I finally have something that should work for a first tutorial. I keep getting interrupted, though and it takes time to get it right.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I'm running into issues with the screen recording. The frame rate was recorded like crap on the last run I did with the videos, so I'm having to redo them, but should be done with part 1 and 2 tomorrow and with any luck, part 3.

This should be the breakdown of how the videos will go:
Part 1 - Installation and configuration of tools and project folders
Part 2 - Using SBuilderX to get Backgrounds and loading them into ADE
Part 3 - Basics on making custom taxiways and runways using aprons
Part 4 - Making the library in AFLT and using the AFLT Utility Scripts

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I don't think Aaron has posted them yet. Give him some time please ;)

Country
macedonia
ok btw scruffduck do you know how to chaange the runway texture like aerosoft or flytampa i need to make real runway fast becouse i have scenery maked 6 months plzz

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I think a little more patience is needed. We are here to help and we will but you seem rather impatient and that may not go down too well with folks who are offering the time and experience for free to the community

Country
macedonia
I always asking for help, no one want to help me.Please help someone i waiting 2 months and making 1 runway 2 months ...

Country
unitedstates
These videos take time to make. I work 60 hours a week at work, have my own projects to work on and these videos take about 1-2 hours to make each one. The problem is I haven't made video tutorials before and getting all the software working the way I want and getting no interruptions or background noises that distract from the video (like my dog walking on my wood floor and you hear click click click of his nails, or phone calls coming from friends and relatives). I'm trying to make these videos in one take to avoid issues with skipping steps so the tutorials come out well. If something happens, I have to stop the recording and start all over again.

I've been working a week on them and I'll keep working on them until they are ready, but it takes time. Remember, I'm trying to give you ALL the information you might need without leaving anything out. When I run into something like that where I remember that I left something out by making a later video, I have to go back and redo the older video. Some people make money from YouTube by doing what I'm doing as a side job. I'm making nothing from this and just trying to help. I'm sorry its taking so long, but it will be worth it, I promise.