1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording sounds

Discussion in 'Sound' started by wilevi93, 27/2/11.

1. wilevi93

wilevi93

us-alaska
    I have been working on modeling an aircraft for FSX; it's a Taylorcraft, which is similar to the Piper Cub. I've already gotten started on the visual model (Gmax), and now I'm just waiting for the snow to melt so I can take pictures of the thing.:) I may have an opportunity to go flying and record sounds from the actual thing. In order to create a sound set, what sounds should I record? What engine sounds/other should I capture?

Thanks in advance.
  2. wilevi93

wilevi93

us-alaska
    Well, After careful reading through the SDK, and comparing default FS sound sets, I've come up with a method of recording the sounds for the Taylorcraft. This airplane doesn't have an electrical system, so i won't need gyro sounds or anything like that.

List of sounds to record

Inside:
    • door opening/closing
    • startup/idle
    • 1/4 throttle
    • 1/2 throttle
    • 3/4 throttle
    • full throttle
    • ground roll
    • touchdown sounds
    • shutdown

Outside:
    • door opening/closing
    • startup/idle
    • 1/4 throttle
    • 1/2 throttle
    • 3/4 throttle
    • full throttle
    • shutdown

The recording of this set would ideally need 3 sound recorders going at the same time, one positioned inside the aircraft, one outside and to the 2 o' clock position of the craft, and one behind the craft shielded from the propwash to minimize wind sound. This is to utilize the ability of FSX to produce 3d sounds as you pan around the outside of the airplane.
  3. Sonic

Sonic

ca-novascotia
  4. wilevi93

wilevi93

us-alaska
    Thanks for that video, I got a few ideas from it. I do not have fancy recording equipment, but I have a a few HD video cameras with multiple microphones. I can edit the video to isolate the sound.