• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Redding KRDD

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Ground textures done, I hope. Working on buildings now. Custom taxiway markings will also be added. I purposely use ground textures on only paved areas so the bare ground will use the seasonal stock textures. Just a personal performance. Also cuts way down on the time needed to finish an aiport. I readily admit to making far less sophisticated scenery than many here, but that keeps it enjoyable for me, and if it ain't enjoyable why would I bother?

The US Forestry ramp with Grumman and Convair bombers.
krdd0.jpg

krdd1.jpg

krdd2.jpg

krdd3.jpg

General Aviation ramp.
krdd4.jpg

Yes, they do have a Canberra B2 on the field. They also have an Aero L-29 Delfin, which I still have to add.
krdd5.jpg

Unused runway converted to a drag strip. At the far end you can just make out the go-kart track.
krdd6.jpg

Place your bets. :wave:
krdd7.jpg

If I look at what I made a year ago, I would be ashamed to show it once more but at the time I thought I had a good scenery and I had enjoyed making it as well. You will get more proficient the more you do it. It already looks good though and as Heretic said: anything is better than the default.

Country
switzerland
looking good for the Moment... but still hope, there will be a photo scenery for the Environment around the Airport... or even better, grass textures... LH Creations like...

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Since I don't know robystar or Heratic, I'm going to assume their comments were meant to be encouraging and not just tactless, which is how they came off sounding. You seem to assume that I would make my scenery more complex and detailed if only I knew how. I do know how and have made a deliberate decision not to. I've made lots of scenery and scenery objects over the past six years or so, all freeware, and have developed an approach that suits me and keeps it enjoyable. FS for me is still primarily a Flight simulator, not a Scenery simulator, and I don't need ultra-realistic scenery to enjoy it. If others like what I make, fine. If not, I'll gladly refund the no money I charged them for the many hours even crappy scenery like mine takes to make.

Sorry, Airbasil, but there will be no additional photo textures. I don't have the patience to do the entire airport and surrounding area, so I've come up with a compromise that, I hope, still makes the scenery more visually enjoyable. If you have replacement grass textures installed, they should show up instead of the textures you see in the pics.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Since I don't know robystar or Heratic, I'm going to assume their comments were meant to be encouraging and not just tactless, which is how they came off sounding. You seem to assume that I would make my scenery more complex and detailed if only I knew how. I do know how and have made a deliberate decision not to. I've made lots of scenery and scenery objects over the past six years or so, all freeware, and have developed an approach that suits me and keeps it enjoyable. FS for me is still primarily a Flight simulator, not a Scenery simulator, and I don't need ultra-realistic scenery to enjoy it. If others like what I make, fine. If not, I'll gladly refund the no money I charged them for the many hours even crappy scenery like mine takes to make.

It was encouragement and basically a statement of my modus operandi. I know your name from the two billion add-ons you've done over the years and even if I've ever only used a very small part of them, I find their presence very helpful. You know, in case I need an object for a scenery or an entire scenery for an airport. So here's a "Thank you" for the continuous creation of sceneries and object libraries.

Also, posting tactless comments on freeware releases would be like shooting one's foot.

And: If you get flak for anything you do MSFS-wise, drag that bastard to me and I'll tear him a new one.

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Two billion...sometimes feels like it. :eek:

No problem. As far as I'm concerned we're all on the same team. It's easy to misinterpret the tone of forum posts, and I apologize for doing so. :wave:

Country
switzerland
Sorry, Airbasil, but there will be no additional photo textures. I don't have the patience to do the entire airport and surrounding area, so I've come up with a compromise that, I hope, still makes the scenery more visually enjoyable. If you have replacement grass textures installed, they should show up instead of the textures you see in the pics.

Thanks for that quick answer. I appreciate that.
Hopefully you would deliver more fs9 sceneries in future. I'm really lookin' forward to this project!

Keep 'em coming!

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
I have given myself up for a hopeless scenery design addict. I had actually intended to quit a while back and you can see how that worked out. At some point a miracle will occur and I'll be able to afford a new computer capable and upgrade to FSX or Prepar3D. Until then I'll continue making scenery for FS9.

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Been flying a lot lately so work on KRDD has been slow. Working my way south from the U.S. Forestry ramp I've got the Air Shasta, fire house and Redding Jet building done. Started working on the Terminal. And don't forget our iron clad guarantee: "It's probably better than the default scenery." :wave:

krdd1.jpg

krdd2.jpg

Country
unitedstates
Ground textures done, I hope. Working on buildings now. Custom taxiway markings will also be added. I purposely use ground textures on only paved areas so the bare ground will use the seasonal stock textures. Just a personal performance. Also cuts way down on the time needed to finish an aiport. I readily admit to making far less sophisticated scenery than many here, but that keeps it enjoyable for me, and if it ain't enjoyable why would I bother?

The US Forestry ramp with Grumman and Convair bombers.
View attachment 18133

View attachment 18134

View attachment 18135

View attachment 18136

General Aviation ramp.
View attachment 18137

Yes, they do have a Canberra B2 on the field. They also have an Aero L-29 Delfin, which I still have to add.
View attachment 18138

Unused runway converted to a drag strip. At the far end you can just make out the go-kart track.
View attachment 18139

Place your bets. :wave:
View attachment 18140

Whoa I drag race all the time!!

Where is this drag strip located in the real world?? I'm pretty sure you must be familiar with top fuel and funny car, those cars do the quarter mile at over 300 mph between 3 and 4 seconds and they sound so loud, it sounds like the whole track is getting bombed!!! The nitro that comes out of those cars just burns the eyes if your close to it!

Country
unitedstates
I just looked up some info on the dragstrip and found out that it is the oldest operating NHRA drag strip but I checked the schedule for NHRA's biggest events and it seems that they do not operate top fuel or nitro funny cars or in other words, the current mello yellow series.....I wonder why is this...the track looks more than capable to handle the power of nitro blown cars....I am puzzled by this!

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
The oldest operating NHRA drag strip? I had no idea. Interesting that the first one was a converted runway...makes sense though.

I was really into cars as a kid growing up in NYC and went to some drag strip a few times...can't remember which one. Loved the funny cars, but the AA fuel rails were definitely everyone's favorites. Closest I ever got to racing was slot cars...they were quite popular in the 60's. That was a fun hobby. :D

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Thanks, darrenvox. I'm happy with it so far and your support helps keep me motivated to finish it. :wave:

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Terminal is 90% done. Air side needs glazing. I'm starting to hate the people who design airport terminals.

krdd0.jpg

krdd1.jpg

krdd3.jpg

Hi,

Very nice, but, not criticizing (on the contrary):
From the screenies I see that you still have problems with (which most call) the 'moire' effect'.
You could try to avoid that by mipmapping your textures (mipmapping means that the farther away you are from the object the lesser detail you see).

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Thanks for reminding me, Roby. I always used mipped textures but had forgotten to process some of these. Brain getting like Swiss cheese, I'm afraid.

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Finished and uploaded to Avsim.com and Flightsim.com. Should work in FSX as well. I have no idea about Prepar3D. Anyone who wishes to do any converting necessary for FSX or Prepar3D has my permission to do so, as long as the original readme.txt file is included. Hope you enjoy it. :wave: