1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

renaming scenery objects and GUID

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by Rcnesneg, 14/4/12.

1. Rcnesneg

Rcnesneg

In the default FSX OPT, if you add objects, they are listed at the beginning under their respective GUID, is there a way to rename them to more proper names? IE: gen_plane_C133 ?
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

No, unfortunately not. I have asked this to MS years ago and their answer was that those names are hardcoded in the tool, they are not read from the objects. So that's why new objects can only be shown with the GUID.

My best advice would be to use a different placement tool. Like WhisPlacer or Instant Scenery.
  3. Rcnesneg

Rcnesneg

What would you suggest? i love being able to see a preview of the object in FSX, as with the default opt, but i hate not naming it. any other things? Whisplacer doesn't seem able to do that.
  4. toprob

toprob

Whisplacer certainly can live-preview in FSX. You do need to take some extra steps to create the required simobjects but this is easy enough once you get the hang of it.
  5. Rcnesneg

Rcnesneg

Do you have a link to some tutorials? or could you point me in the right direction? I tried searching for them, but i cannot seem to find any.
  6. toprob

toprob

If you are mainly concerned about how to set up library objects for use with Whisplacer, then you just need to install Whisplacer and read the 'import_tut.pdf' in the docs folder. This is very good explanation of how to add library objects.
  7. Rcnesneg

Rcnesneg

Well i got a bunch of objects in, as well as some i had added before, and even after i do the automatic "export" thing, as soon as i switch from a default object to a new object, FSX freezes, even on objects that i have used successfully with the default opt.

Current impression of Whisplacers instant preview: horrible and buggy, to the point of unusable.:mad:
  8. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

So you exported the objects to simobjects before you started fsx? And the library bgl is in an active folder as well?

Many people use whisplacer without problems. But if your really can't get it to work the commercial instant scenery is an alternative.

Send from my phone using Tapatalk, so excuse the short sentences and possible typos