1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX rescaling

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by robystar, 24/6/09.

1. robystar

robystar

Me again with another question.
    Most problems encountered have been solved except for the animations but that has been explained as well.
    There is still one thing though that makes me wonder if I am doing the right thing or overlooking something once more.
    Take an FS9 API for example and run it through the converter. Some of them are not the same scale anymore or the scale is different in FSX.
    Fortunately the rescaling function works fine and you can rescale the mdl to your liking.
    Now if you use your mdl as an aircraft model, it is easy to just change the mdl each time until the scaling is OK, but if you convert an mdl into a scenery object, you can only verify the right scaling after having compiled the bgl.
    Is there a way to find out what the dimensions of the object in the mdl are after scaling without each time having to find out in FSX afer compiling the bgl?

Roby
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

In ModelConverterX you will see the bounding box size on the dialog form that is used for scaling. So that gives you a good idea how big the object will be. If you place it in FS with scale 1.0 that is exactly the size it will get.
  3. robystar

robystar

Thank you. I had seen that but what is the unit used there? feet, meters? Or does it depend on who made the model? Perhaps a stupid question but I just do not know the answer.
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

That is in meters (as long as the scale is 1.0). All MDL files are defined like that.
  5. robystar

robystar

Thanks for small but useful the information.