1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reusing Sketchup Materials

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by andyjohnston.net, 27/2/10.

1. andyjohnston.net

andyjohnston.net

ca-ontario
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm at a loss so here goes.

The way I've always done my FS textures was to place as many parts/sides in one bmp as possible.

It seems that with Sketchup, I can reuse the materials, but when I import into MCX the faces where I've reused the same material (selected a different part though) will be distorted.

Is this correct?

Do I have to create a new material using the same texture? Will that create a huge number of textures that have to be included in my scenery when/if made available for download?
  2. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    If I understand correctly,... materials that are being reused are being distorted?

You shouldn't have to create a "new material" using the same texture. Considering the huge number of textures; There is a way to combine parallel faces into a single texture (or combining). You also can make a single sheet by combining them into a single file and repositioning it to correspond to the different faces.

Repositioning does take time and patiences,... you can get disoriented easily (at least I do :p). Arno,... is planning in future releases to minimize texture calls so hopefully soon this will help.
  3. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

I reuse materials all the time and I haven't seen any distortion. Is the distortion only seen in MCX and not in Sketchup?
  4. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    I have seen some distortion within both,... but appears to correct itself, either by panning out or in... Do you have pictures to show this? Maybe, it would be easier to see what your referring too?

I have seen horizontal lines within the textures get distorted (in MCX) and the way I corrected it was to enlarge or stretching the texture some what.
  5. andyjohnston.net

andyjohnston.net

ca-ontario
    Certainly, attached is a jpeg, which shows the file, at the top is the project in Sketchup, under is the object in MCX.

I had another one which had the same issue, I was able to recreate the faces and that seemed to fix it.

Attached Files:

6. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Ahhhh,... ok that kind of distortion (major). Sounds like,... Arno needs to look at it... were there any errors from MCX, or Warnings?
  7. andyjohnston.net

andyjohnston.net

ca-ontario
    No errors, as soon as I import it that's how it appears.
  8. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Andy,

Looks like a bug in the DAE importer indeed. Can you maybe send me the file for testing?
  9. andyjohnston.net

andyjohnston.net

ca-ontario
    Sure, what are you looking for, the kmz?

How should I get it to you? Attach it to a post?
  10. arno

netherlands
    You can send it to my email address, that is probably easiest: arno _AT_ fsdeveloper _DOT_ com. Thanks,
  11. arno

netherlands
    Hi Andy,

I found the bug, it was something in the part of ModelConverterX that reads the textures. It will be fixed in the next development release.
  12. OleBoy

OleBoy

us-washington
    I hate to open this old topic, but

I am currently having this distortion problem going on. I found if I would redraw the area the textures were going on, it was correcting the distortion. It almost acts as if two polygons were read being overlapped on export. I fussed with adjusting the texture several times to make sure it was not a texture issue. It does not appear to be.

I am new to the whole process of modeling from creation to getting it into FSX. Although I have built several models.

I have tried to export as .DAE using all the options just to make sure I was not forgetting a step. The export goes well. The import on the other hand does not.

I am currently using the latest dev release, and v1.3. Both giving the same results. I hope someone has an idea what could be happening.

I've been posting in the sketchup forum here. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=394607