1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rotating beacon not displayed in ADE

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by sparker256, 28/11/08.

1. sparker256

sparker256

unitedstates
    In converting my KERI airport over to using only ADE I do not see it on the tower that it is on in FSX. Here is a snipit of the xml that places it. Is this just not displayed but compiled?

<SceneryObject
    lat="42.0829944"
    lon="-80.1818776"
    alt="14.0000000"
    pitch="0.0000000"
    bank="0.0000000"
    heading="320.2130127"
    altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
    imageComplexity="NORMAL"
    instanceId="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}">
    <Beacon
    type="CIVILIAN"
    baseType="AIRPORT"/>
    </SceneryObject>
  2. meshman

meshman

withdrawn.
    Last edited: 29/6/09
  3. sparker256

sparker256

unitedstates
    Lance,

The point I was trying to make is the code above will display a rotating beacon in FSX at a alitude of 14.0 which is on top of the tower at KERI. That is how it is in real life. The thing is that the beacon is not displayed in ADE. I made the code in whisplacer and merged it into my ADE airport using xml. Just wondered if a roatating beacon whould be displayed?
  4. jvile

jvile

You have to add those manually into your XML. A future release of ADE will have the ability to add a rotating beacon. Presently you can only add a stationary sceneryobject beacon in ADE because we are working on the attach point code.
  5. sparker256

sparker256

unitedstates
    Jim,
    My code above does not have any attach point code and the beacon works fine. I just put it on top of smalltower2 at 14.0 feet.

It looks to me that it could be added like windsocks with sim1lar dialog box to select between civilan or military and to also select between airport or seabase or heleport.

For all the authors of ADE thankyou very much.
  6. jvile

jvile

Bill

thanks for the tip

You do say you converted KERI over to ADE but you do not say what you converted it from. ADE handles beacons as per the SDK which means we do not remove a default beacon. KERI has a default beacon sitting on top of a tower as per the XML.

<SceneryObject
    lat="42.0833387598395"
    lon="-80.1815915107727"
    alt="0.0F"
    altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
    pitch="0"
    bank="0"
    heading="0"
    imageComplexity="VERY_SPARSE">
    <LibraryObject
    name="{7f38bfbc-e295-4a40-845c-3f3c872cfa82}"
    scale="1.00"
    />
    <AttachedObject
    attachpointName="attachpt_beacon"
    pitch="0"
    bank="0"
    heading="0">
    <RandomAttach
    randomness="ALWAYS_DISPLAY"
    probability="1"/>
    <Beacon
    type="CIVILIAN"
    baseType="AIRPORT"/>
    </AttachedObject>
    </SceneryObject>

If you convert a airport that was designed by some other utility we cannot be sure you will see everything. You could have open a default KERI with ADE and copied out the above XML and placed back into your airport. I do agree that a beacon will rotate on a structure of your choice with the XML you are showing.

However there are several code issues with that XML that might cause a problem such as altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" but the 14 METER's is raising the beacon. That is a reverse code of what the SDK is suppose to do since any AGL = TRUE is a clamp to ground elevation for model.mdl's.

Everything about ADE is 100 percent SDK and a single code would have to be written so that one XML entry of TRUE keeps the beacon in a unclamp status. In the SDK of a beacon it is not the beacon attributes that uses the altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" but the GUID SceneryObject that has the embedded attachpoint which is only honored by certain scenery structures like towers.

Your tip is a good one and allows a beacon to be placed on anything at a altitude value (I think you meant 14 Meters and not feet) and rotate. That can definitely be used at many locations if someone wants to use a non-standard FAA type structure with a rotating beacon.

I have copied your code to do some further testing because I have some off airport structures I could use a rotating beacon on. Some airports do have off airport beacons that sit on something other then a Tower that FSX defines an attachpoint to.
  7. sparker256

sparker256

unitedstates
    Jim,
    I have used FSX Planner and ADE for the airport and used whisplacer for object placement. Whisplacer is how I originaly put the beacon on the control tower where it is in real life. There is no seperate tower with the becon on it. Here is a picture of the tower at KERI with the becon on top of it. All I was wondering is why it was not displayed in ADE but in looking at the add menu I see beacons are not a option so that is why. Thanks very much for your time.

Attached Files:

8. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I think you have the answer to this. The current version of ADE does not support Beacons (or Effects) Both will be available in later versions.