1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2004 Runway markings-- heading vs. cardinal markers

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by b3burner, 15/4/12.

1. b3burner

b3burner

unitedstates
    I don't know if this is a bug or not... but when I number a runway by its heading, the number shows up in both the ADE and the simulator, as should be the case.

However, if i choose to use cardinal direction letters, it shows up on the simulator, but appears blank (or missing) in ADE.

Why is this? And is this something you plan on fixing in future updates?

Thanks,

-- John

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    It has not been reported before. But I assume it is a bug. However I don't recall ever seeing a letter like that on a RW runway - so it may be a bug in FS that it displays it. Perhaps someone could confirm this please (not that ADE does not display letters - I can confirm that but whether such things would appear in the RW)?
    Last edited: 15/4/12
  3. b3burner

b3burner

unitedstates
    Jon,

I was thinking that might have been the case, but to counter-challenge that point, why then are the cardinal directions an available option in the runway identifier pull-down menu, in the ADE9x program?

I'm thinking it must be a valid selection if it's in there:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. scruffyduck

wales
    Well it is a valid selection. There are plenty of airports that have a runway identified with a number but the number is not painted on the threshold. It is used for purposes other than visuals. For example to identify the active runway or for ATC use. The fact that ADE does not display it on the runway does not mean that value is not stored and compiled.

The issue for me is that if some airport do have those letters painted on the runway threshhold then ADE is at fault. To be honest I have never seen them and that is why I wonder if FS is at fault in displaying them. However in truth I do not know the answer....
    Last edited: 15/4/12
  5. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    In any case you should probably display them, since FS does... :)
  6. scruffyduck

wales
    True - added to the list in any case :)