1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save a re-sized object

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by John Young, 13/2/10.

1. John Young

John Young

unitedkingdom
    I want to re-scale a simple tube that is used as a reflecting taxiway edge marker in some FS9 and FSX scenery I have built. The problem is that I have placed a hundred or so already with Abacus's Instant Scenery. It's very easy WYSIWYG rather than ADE or ScenegenX placement I have used for other less repetative objects, but it has no facility to preserve the original GUID or to edit the new one it allocates after a change is made to the model. If it did, a simple change in Gmax would be all that was needed. As it is the newly allocated GUID doesn't match the data in the calling (placement) file and the objects no longer show.

I can import the library.bgl file into ModelConverterX and I can re-size the tube with the transform tool but I can't find a facility to save the change. I think the expectation is that I export the object and create a new .bgl in the ways described in the manual, but that would mean a re-import to Instant Scenery's Library Maker and an unwanted new GUID and objects not showing.

Have I missed something please, or is it possible to carry out the simplest of transforms and put the model back into the .bgl from where it came without disturbing anything else in the file?

Thanks in anticipation,

John
  2. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    When you create the object in GMAX and export in FS9 format, if you create it with a new name it creates a new XML file and GUID. But if you overwrite the existing MDL file (with the old XML file present) when you export it does not create a new XML file and keeps the old GUID. A quick recompile of the library BGL and copy over the existing file in FS will get you the updated objects displayed without touching Instant Scenery.

Hope this helps,
  3. John Young

John Young

unitedkingdom
    Tom, thanks for the advice. I'm OK with altering the model and saving as you suggest. Could I just clarify what you had in mind to compile the new .bgl with please? If I try and do that with the Instant Scenery library creator, it doesn't update the model that's in the existing file. I can remove the old model and put the revised one in but then a new GUID is assigned and then there is a mismatch with the existing placement file and previously placed objects don't show anymore. Is there another tool I can use that would preseve the link to the placement file and still enable me to use Instant Scenery to plant more markers please? I could of course use a separate .bgl with a new model for the remaining markers, so that need is not too important.
  4. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    No, it doesn't appear you can do that with the Instant Scenery Library Creator.

I use Library Creator XML (by Arno) instead which creates an XML file, which you can then compile over and over, updating the objects each time without changing the GUIDs.

Hope this helps,
  5. John Young

John Young

unitedkingdom
    That certainly does Tom. Thank you.