• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Scissor Gear Animation Tutorial

Country
unitedstates
Scissor gear animation tutorial using IK Limb Solver and LookAT Constraint.

Post if this helped you since it's hard to find a good tutorial that makes it easy to understand. And i was not able to find any tutorials on scissor gear when i did a google search. So i thought i would make a very easy tutorial that you can learn in minutes.

Update: This is part 1 and part 2 is further down on this thread.

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Nice work DG, but that won't work in FS until the animations are collapsed to keyframes. A little more video work to add...

Country
unitedstates
I am making a part 2 video on how to convert to key frames. I have tried in the past to use curve editor / controller collapse. But it only creates key frames with no position for each key.
So i use another method using the align tool to set each key frame and use the parts from the first video and the position i need for the new parts.

If someone wants to make a tutorial on how to use controller collapse and actually have moving animated parts it would be helpful. Although this method is pretty quick and works good.

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Go to the Animation panel, Trajectories tab, you'll find the Collapse button. For each object with a constrained (eg Look At) animation, specify start & end time and number of samples, select rotation and/or position keys and click Collapse.

Collapse_zpsdrjvbrpn.jpg

Done, and even quicker.

Country
unitedstates
Yes very quick and i like this. Somehow when i searched controller collapse i got instructions for the curve editor / controller collapse which looks the same but does not work. And was never able to get the new animation keys to work.
But with this it works excellent. And i am surprised i never noticed this tab. Thanks hairyspin.

I noticed this works great with the lookat constraint. But for the IK limb solver i had to do a few extra steps. Not sure i can get around this.

This is much better!

Last edited:
Country
mexico
Hello lads

First of all, I don't want to hijack this thread or disrupt it's original goal. So, I will ask.
Since I have some questions in this precise topic, should I create a new thread?

In advance, thank you and congratulations for the great tutorials.
Sergio.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If your questions do not directly relate to the tutorial itself, start another thread and refer back to this tutorial if needed by using a link.

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
Hi guys,

Sorry for replying to a year old thread, but I can't seem to get my head wrapped around limb solver and lookat constraint animations. Seen the video numerous times, but I fail at getting the limb solver to work at all in max 9 and 2012, although I use max 9 for my development work. Of course the parts in question are the gear scissors. I've done the old style animations, but look very out of place in max and within FSX. Can someone give me an insight on which part(s) needs to be connected (animated/non-animated) or step by step on getting this work? This is for my Trislander project, so any help is really much appreciated.

Country
unitedstates
One cool thing I noticed about collapsing keyframes is that it can be done to anything that is animated, whether it's animated with look-at constraints or not. This may be helpful when converting a rotating part to FSX - you could very quickly insert the required key per 90 degrees this way. Let's say you have a flap drive screw that completes 80 turns in however many frames on an FS9 model, with a key per 360-degree rotation. Upon conversion to FSX, you could go to the trajectories tab, set an appropriate animation length, then set the number of keys to 321 (4 * 80 + 1), hit "collapse," and be done with it.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Quite correct, and handy for making sure FSX elevators, rudder, wheels etc have enough keyframes to work properly in the sim.